Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

New member says hi and I have some questions!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Hey PartTimeRVer,
I have added track bars, stronger sway bars, front end work to the RV and she handles well now. Tires are fairly new and brakes have been checked as good. Engine and transmission are working excellent and milage is relatively low. All the fluids are changed on time. I do have all the required tow paraphernalia including an RVi3. We have towed a 4300 lb TJ around the west for several years and have experience with towing. I'm have a fair amount of mechanical experience and awareness and keep the rig in good running shape. We pack our rig light and understand the weight issues.

Notable facts for the build I propose. :unsure: Below is the manufacturers stats for the 31 foot version of my model. My RV is a 26 footer and interestingly my GVWR placard is listed as the same. My rig is sure to be lighter as I have 5 feet less structure at the back. That give me more tow capacity wieght wise. Also the 26 foot rig's frame extension is shorter than the one listed and probably handles the stress for towing better. The tow capacity is listed as 5k and I'm wanting to go only 1600 more lbs. My plan to add frame support and an upgraded hitch makes this idea of towing my Jeep a good possibility to be within the proper weight and safety issues.

I have 3 shops now that I have talked to but everyone is shutting down for the holidays so this job will be delayed until January. All the shops say this job is not unusual and relatively standard work. I am feeling confident this is going to work and work well.

Specs for 2008 Fleetwood - Tioga Ranger​

Floorplan: 31W​

(Class C)​

Towing Capacity 5,000 lbs​

GVWR 14,050 lbs.​

PIC - Camping in the Alabama Hills near Lone Pine in the Eastern Sierra, Mount Whitney in the back ground​

P1050271-M.jpg

Wow! You have done some work. LOL. Your suspension upgrades sound the same as mine trac bar, sway bar, steering etc. It also sounds like you shortened the unit? Very cool. Yeah man as long as you verify the weights and rear structural is up to spec you should be golden. Good luck!

Wow! You have done some work. LOL. Your suspension upgrades sound the same as mine trac bar, sway bar, steering etc. It also sounds like you shortened the unit? Very cool. Yeah man as long as you verify the weights and rear structural is up to spec you should be golden. Good luck!
I must have not been clear on that point. My rig is and always has been 26 feet, I have never altered it... but the manufacture's placards are the same for my 26 footer as a 31 footer. I might need to recheck that but think it is right. If so then the manufactures gross weights are generalized and not specific per model.

OK sorry I read to fast as I was leaving for work. I do see your vehicle says 5k towing which seems very absolute. Not sure if thats the tow hitch it came with or what? My 26' came with an 8k hitch with me getting weights and doing math to figure out my GCWR which is 22k. Yours of course seems to be 19,050. We both seem to have 14,500 gvwr. So it sounds like you are on the correct path. Just load up your Tioga with everything you need and weigh it. Not sure what your scale situation is. I don't have your exact specs but your engine and tranny definately seem up to the task. Seems just to be your hitch and a double check of your frame but your on an e450 and you are all over that. That toad looks like a fun ride.

Latest resources

Back