• Commercial/Vendors welcome

New RV park builder

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I think of appropriate site size and spacing a bit differently than distance between meters.

to me, each site should give you a minimum of 20’ of space on your passenger side, and another 15’ on your driver side, this does not include the width of your pad, which should be a minimum of 12’ but for obvious reasons, 16-18 is much nicer.

In terms of length or depth, having a big rig and towing a car, I typically need a minimum of 55’ and feel most comfortable when I can get a 65’+ site.

landscaping between sites is also a very nice luxury when possible. Too many parks cut down all the trees and bushes, when really they just need to be trimmed and kept a reasonable distance from the actual pad and road.

That is one thing that drives me absolutely nuts about so many RV parks whether private, local, state or federal - free tree trimming services courtesy of my fiberglass sidewall. If you do nothing else, keep the trees trimmed and let me get into my site unmolested.

For more than an overnight stay, 40ft. Lots of off road vehicles running around the park would discourage us.

Welcome. If you have continually clean, up to date bathrooms and level, non grass sites, with good wi-fi, and good working full hook ups, you will be ahead of most. If you are within 3-4 miles of a grocery, hardware store, and pharmacy, you are golden (for those without a toad). Sites with some shade is always good. A good stocked camp store and cable are also helpful. The trick is to offer these at an affordable price.
You prefer non grass sites? Could you elaborate on that.
Being in Gilmer, expect to get a lot of vehicles towing offroad at some, etc. Ample space and parking will be crucial for your location.

You will have to decide which crowd you want at your park. Price too low, and you are full all the time with people that will bring down the quality.

Price too high, and you will lose potential income and have empty spots.

I personally would love to find a weekend getaway in Gilmer for my RV and jeep that wasn't infested with drunken rednecks. Bad enough dealing with those fools on the trail, don't need to deal with them in the park too.
We will be 5 miles from Barnwell mountain. That’s one of the reasons we chose this property.

We will be 5 miles from Barnwell mountain. That’s one of the reasons we chose this property.
I think he meant the pad should be non-grass. IE. Gravel, concrete, pavers or asphalt

Let me know when you are open. We go there 2-3 times a month.

I think that if most people had their choice drive thru sites are tops.

Gravel or concrete parking pad.

Having been full time now for awhile, and traveling in two different combination of rigs, I'll give you my wants for the perfect campground.

When we were in our 43' pusher pulling a long enclosed trailer we only targeted parks with 100' pull through spots. We stayed in many without such sites and used back-in spots, however they had places we could easily drop our trailer, like a large open lot. With our current 44' fiver we really don't care if the site is a pull through or back in as long as it is actually big enough and I don't have to cut across mud to get into it.

Sites have to be as close to level as possible. Along with that there needs to be two sewer drops and they need to be the exact same level as the pad. We have visited several parks where the sewer drop was actually a little higher than the pad. One night at a park like that and we never returned.

Work campers and other RVers make the best office workers. They will understand your customers better and relate better. We use a wonderful county park up north about every summer on a local river. It is an inexpensive great little place but they insist on hiring local retired non-RV office help. They are impatient and rude, being there just for the part time gig.

The other requirements we look for in a good park are the obvious ones that have already been mentioned, like good working hook-ups, etc.

An understanding and forgiving money refund policy is also a huge plus. If someone makes a reservation and has an issue on the road don't be money hungry and keep all or part of their money. If a customer lets you know by 6pm or so that they can't make it then refund their deposit or funds in full and ask them to consider you next time.

One thing I can add is have someone on-site during check-in periods that can fix bad pedestal power (circuit breakers, receptacles) that new arriving campers find as they hook up.
Also, don't advertise something you don't have or can't provide and keep your website up to date..

Latest resources

Back