• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Two Lost Dawgs

RVF Regular
TOW/TOAD
2016 Chevy 2500 Duramax
Hello, I'm in the market for a new RV/5th Wheel Toy Hauler.Ive been doing much research. First I had one brand in mind, then another and after all the research I've done, now I'm considering a 3rd brand. I was talking to a buddy last night who lives on the road RVing full time. He was telling me about rigs built after 2021 having a fortitude of issues. The theory was that because of covid shutdowns the craftsmanship of many companies declined drastically. I would really like to buy a new rig, but I REALLY don't want the problems. I realize all rigs have issues. I can accept normal wear and tear, but I don't want a brand new rig that's always breaking down.

My question is has anyone else heard of this or experienced this?

Not really about RVs built after and during 2020. It's more about the RVs being thrown together with what ever they could get syndrome! Some have complained that the RV they bought being shipped without a water heater!

Lots of people have horror stories. The good news is things are getting better, well anything is better.

Not really about RVs built after and during 2020. It's more about the RVs being thrown together with what ever they could get syndrome! Some have complained that the RV they bought being shipped without a water heater!

Lots of people have horror stories. The good news is things are getting better, well anything is better.
Haha... I was wondering. I mean it's been almost three years. It should be getting better.

Haha... I was wondering. I mean it's been almost three years. It should be getting better.
If all was equal, I would agree. However skilled work force took a hit!!! Anything else I say would be considered political, so leave it at that.

Really not talked about much but at the end of the pandemic 1.2 million people were dead and over 5 million people left the workforce in some cases associated with the long term effects of COVID. In short the US workforce experienced a dramatic reduction that then forced all sorts of supply chain issues because of labor shortages that still exist today. RV industry was impacted even more because demand sky rocketed in the face of labor shortages.

Just our experience…

We had a new Super C on order that we had done a bunch of research on before deciding.

Was supposed to be delivered in Feb of this year.

That was delayed due to supply chain issues - could not get the generators for them as we found out. That pushed the delivery to “end of April, maybe”. That time frame did not work for us so back on the hunt.

There were two we had never looked at since they were not on lots and the price point of one was a lot higher than our original plans.

We found both at a dealership and went to look.

First was a new entry into the market and we were disappointed they went low end on the materials. Pressboard cabinet doors already flaking etc.

The other was the one we bought. New 22 on the lot.

They had the original brand we had ordered on the lot as well. We looked at that after seeing ours and no comparison in the quality.

Bottom line we spent the extra money for our Newmar Superstar.

Talking to the inspector we hired, as far as everything he had seen over the years, we went to the top of the list as far as quality goes.

He also said we would have spent the same money on the one we had ordered just on fixing things along the way.

We have been in our coach full time since picking it up in December. Had some things fixed at the factory last month but have had nothing that kept us from using it - all little things.

We are happy with the quality and very glad the first one fell through causing the change.

Taking the factory tour at Newmar was interesting and one of their stats quoted was the average length of employment by their people. They don’t have a lot of turnover there.

Just our experience…

We had a new Super C on order that we had done a bunch of research on before deciding.

Was supposed to be delivered in Feb of this year.

That was delayed due to supply chain issues - could not get the generators for them as we found out. That pushed the delivery to “end of April, maybe”. That time frame did not work for us so back on the hunt.

There were two we had never looked at since they were not on lots and the price point of one was a lot higher than our original plans.

We found both at a dealership and went to look.

First was a new entry into the market and we were disappointed they went low end on the materials. Pressboard cabinet doors already flaking etc.

The other was the one we bought. New 22 on the lot.

They had the original brand we had ordered on the lot as well. We looked at that after seeing ours and no comparison in the quality.

Bottom line we spent the extra money for our Newmar Superstar.

Talking to the inspector we hired, as far as everything he had seen over the years, we went to the top of the list as far as quality goes.

He also said we would have spent the same money on the one we had ordered just on fixing things along the way.

We have been in our coach full time since picking it up in December. Had some things fixed at the factory last month but have had nothing that kept us from using it - all little things.

We are happy with the quality and very glad the first one fell through causing the change.

Taking the factory tour at Newmar was interesting and one of their stats quoted was the average length of employment by their people. They don’t have a lot of turnover there.
YES!!! THIS is what I want to hear. Thank you for sharing. Very helpful. I had been looking at a particular brand and had my heart set on it too. I went and looked at a different model than one I had originally looked at and almost the same thing happened... I noticed little things with the craftsmanship... so I started looking at other brands. Thank you for your input.

YES!!! THIS is what I want to hear. Thank you for sharing. Very helpful. I had been looking at a particular brand and had my heart set on it too. I went and looked at a different model than one I had originally looked at and almost the same thing happened... I noticed little things with the craftsmanship... so I started looking at other brands. Thank you for your input.
Quite welcome.

We were under no illusion that we wouldn’t have any problems since we are driving or towing houses down these lovely roads in this country. Nice they have all been minor.

Take your time and if possible, look at multiple brands and models within brands.
We have a Renegade Super C on a class 8 chassis and love it.
Knowing the stability of the employee base is very helpful, along with knowing the employee base of who will service your unit.
We have our unit serviced every year at the factory, and some of the team doing service were there 10 years ago when this unit was built and they share stories of some items that were special ordered on the coach.
Having that continuity in build and service is valuable to us.

I ordered a 2023 Heartland North Trail 21RBSS in January and it was completed in April. I did NOT want a 2021 or 2022 off the lot. My thoughts were that with the market dropping, manufacturers would be doing layoffs and those with seniority were more likely to be working?
Don't know if there's any truth to it, but I do know that my unit seems really solid compared to what I've heard from other new-ish owners. (My ONLY issue has been an ongoing 12v electrical gremlin that may not ever be the trailer, it could be my vehicle.)

Latest resources

Back