• Commercial/Vendors welcome

New to Camping, New to Forum Tire Troubles

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Look at the weight of your rig loaded and see how that compares to the weight rating on the tires. Each tire times the number of tires, I’m guessing you have a tandem axle. You may be very close to the max weight on the tires. You may need to step up to a higher rating tire. I had trouble on a fifth wheel years back and went from an E to a G tire and never had another problem. It was recommended by fellow camper to do this and it help us out. No matter what type tire I put on the rig, we had blow outs. The G tire stopped it. If you have D rated tires I would go to an E, if E go to G. The manufacturer puts a tire on the rigs just to get by. That’s it. Take a close look.
Thanks for the suggestion. The only manufacturer that I can find that has my tire ST225/75R15 with a G load rating is a Transeagle tire which is also made in China. Can you tell me which brand you have used with such good success. I've learned a lot in the past week about RV tires and as a 30 year reliability engineer, it irritates the hell out of me that trailer manufacturers can get away with this. But Alas, I want to get back to camping.

Great point from KR1973 on tire age. Before you accept any "new" tire, make sure the date code is current on the sidewall. Maybe this isn't an issue in todays supply shortage, but I know in the past when I blew a trailer tire and got a "new" one from Wal-Mart (they were the closest tire shop to take the rim to while leaving the trailer on the side of the road), the tire was manufactured 2 years prior. Who knows what type of storage conditions it had been in for the last 2 years.

Thanks for the suggestion. The only manufacturer that I can find that has my tire ST225/75R15 with a G load rating is a Transeagle tire which is also made in China. Can you tell me which brand you have used with such good success. I've learned a lot in the past week about RV tires and as a 30 year reliability engineer, it irritates the hell out of me that trailer manufacturers can get away with this. But Alas, I want to get back to camping.
I believe it was Advance. I bought from a local tire shop and the guy said it was what o lot of guys ran on their eq trailers. I sold the truck and fifth whelk last year. We never had a problem after ran the tire four years.

I believe it was Advance. I bought from a local tire shop and the guy said it was what o lot of guys ran on their eq trailers. I sold the truck and fifth whelk last year. We never had a problem after ran the tire four years
Advance GL285T Commercial Truck Tire - ST235/80R16 Amazon.com: Advance GL285T Commercial Truck Tire - ST235/80R16 : Automotive

This is close to the tire I ended up running. Load G.

Just retired and started camping. Made 5 trips so far, total of 1295 miles. We have a 2020 Highland Ridge Mesa Ridge Limited Travel Trailer (34 ft) pulled behind a 2019 Ram 3500 Big Horn Dually. Had our first blowout on Thursday 08/19/21. I've attached 2 pictures. One is the blown tire, the other is the opposite side of the trailer, same axle (rear). I've done a ton of research and it seems that Goodyear Endurance Tires would be one of the best choices, however, they appear to be unavailable. I ordered two of them from the Walmart in McComb Ms, got an email that they would be ready for 8 oclock yesterday morning, and had also scheduled an appointment to have them installed. After an hour drive, a 45 minute wait in the store, they told me that it was a Walmart.com mistake that they didn't have the tires. Got a couple of emails in the store cancelling my install appt. 1st, then a 2nd one a few minutes later cancelling the tire order (even though the website showed 4 available at the McComb Ms. Store.) I've looked on other websites and find long delivery for these tires, up to 02/22. Can I get some advice on other tires that would be equally good. PLEASE, DO NOT RECOMMEND CASTLE ROCK. 1300 miles life is unacceptable. Look closely at the unblown tire, bottom left center side of the pic. There is a small hole (5/16" dia) there with belt exposed that is the beginning of the next failure.
Please help. And YES, I do a walk around inspection before each pull, and check tire pressure. I cant help it. 30 years as a Mechanical Engineer. What I havent done yet, but will before the next trip is get a TPMS. Even though it wont help much with a blowout, the real time monitor should alarm and at least I will know I"ve lost a tire.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
rpm
Sorry this happen to you and two tires is unreal. Next time buy Maxxis Trailer tires. Check them out. I always check mind manually air pressure. Carry an extra rim on long trips because they are hard to find if damage is done to rim.

No matter what tire you purchase, get at least a Load D rated tire. Must have TPMS. Inflate your tires to 5psi less than what it says on the side of the tire. When you get on the road, the tire pressure will increase 5-8 psi at 65 mph. I’ve hauled my 30’ trailer 11000 miles from north Texas to Homer Alaska. No blowouts. Also to Florida and back. On Florida trip, was turning into campground and saws all blade stuck in one tire. TPMS alarmed immediately. Saved wheel and other damage. Plus when not using RV, I put the tire monitors on my boat trailer.

Rodney, you have received much advise and about 90% of it is spot on.

The only way to know exactly what load range tire you need and what psi to set those tires at is to run your loaded rig across a scale. If you travel with only 300 to 400 pounds of total "gear" then you will know for sure. The first time I ran across the scales I estimated we had added around 1200 to 1400 extra weight but it ended up being almost 3,000 pounds of "gear".

Short of actually weighing your rig loaded, shop for the next higher load range tire, or tire with additional plys.

Over the years I have had to replace brand new tires on a new fiver I was purchasing and a few years later on a enclosed trailer I was buying. The manufacturer on both of these simply used tires that were not rated high enough for the max loads. I was lucky enough to realize it while making the purchases so the price was adjusted accordingly.

A TPMS should be everyone's #1 piece of safety equipment on any RV. You can monitor the temperature of those tires and the rising psi. Mapnerd is 100% correct in his advise on TPMS. In all the years we have traveled full time I have never had a blow out. On two occasions I have experienced a failed valve stem but the TPMS alarm warned me and I was able to get pulled over safely and no damage was done to the tire or the rig.

Latest resources

Back