• Commercial/Vendors welcome

New to Camping, New to Forum Tire Troubles

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Do not go to an LT tire stick with an ST tire. If anything, go up one load range. If you are already blowing tires, I’d bet you are very close to the max weight of your tires. Trailer companies are nortorious for putting on axles and tires that are barely enough capacity. ST tires have stronger sidewalls than LT tires.
Getting this off the sticker on the side of the trailer:
Weight of trailer w/ full propane cylinders = 7176 lbs.
Max weight of cargo = 1819
Total these two and voila you get the GVWR of 8995

1. We have never traveled with anything in any of the tanks, Gray, Black, and Aux. Propane bottles could be full.
2. We have the normal stuff for cooking (aluminum no stick pans, silver ware, plates, paper stuff, etc)
3. We carry a couple of chairs, the stuff to connect the trailer to power and water, sewer, level blocks etc. I would estimate that we dont have more than 300 lbs of gear. No where near 1800 lbs.

Off the tires (Each tire is rated for 2830 lbs @ 80 psi cold) NOTE: This is the single rating as opposed to the Dual Rating which is less.
4 tires = 11,320 lbs

Load on Tires at GVWR = 8995

Tires are running at 79% of Max Weight Rating.

For us we are running at about 7676 lbs (500 lbs of gear)

Therefore: Tires are running at 68% of the Max Weight Rating.

That does not count the safety factor in the design. I can only conclude that the quality of the tire is not equal to its rating. Which is obvious from the picture. Being a mechanical engineer, I would be a little nervous switching to an LT tire. This is not a Light Truck. As you can see by the response to this request for help, opinions vary. I do believe however that your recommendation to go to a higher Load Rating is a valid one. Its a shame that you have to go to a rating that is almost twice what you need due to poor quality. I can say emphatically, though, it will not be a Castle Rock Tire.

Here is a story that might help identify a failing tire.

Also, talking to a local truck tire shop manager, he indicated that many times the tread separation is due to corroded steel belts. When the metal corrodes, it expands which separates the tread from the carcass. Most trailers are stored out in the weather where rain and morning dew attacks the tire belts.

In your picture the belts look like they are rusting. Certainly espoused to the elements.

Last edited:
It is all well and good to estimate how much (or little) “stuff” gets loaded in an RV, but until you put it on a scale, you don’t really know. I’ve known several folks over the years who swore they only put a small amount of stuff in their RV and they “knew” they were way under the max loading…only to put it on a scale and be shocked that they were, in fact, way over what they thought. :oops:

Weigh your RV to determine whether your tires are overloaded. If they really aren’t, then you have bad tires, under inflated tires, or both!

TJ

It is all well and good to estimate how much (or little) “stuff” gets loaded in an RV, but until you put it on a scale, you don’t really know. I’ve known several folks over the years who swore they only put a small amount of stuff in their RV and they “knew” they were way under the max loading…only to put it on a scale and be shocked that they were, in fact, way over what they thought. :oops:

Weigh your RV to determine whether your tires are overloaded. If they really aren’t, then you have bad tires, under inflated tires, or both!

TJ
I intend on weighing the trailer. The nearest Scale to me is a 30 minute drive. At the moment I need two tires (maybe more once I pull the other two and inspect them). In short I have to buy tires BEFORE I can weigh the trailer. That is why I reached out for fellow RVers experience on specific tires that worked for them. To be honest, I never even imagined that I would have a tire failure so soon. Interestingly, I had a tire failure on my truck in the first 10,000 miles which was a belt shift (Chinese Tires). The dealership replaced the tire (with the same brand) at no cost to me. My travel trailer dealer responded by saying if I didn't have the extended warranty, I was out of luck. Anyway, thanks for the input.

I had a blowout and replaced my old tires (no clue what brand) with Carlisle Radial Trail HDs. Went up one load rating (from C to D) and they are rated to 80 mph, but I max out at 65 (70 downhill with a tailwind). They have been great so far, hold air very well, trailer feels much more stable towing.

The Goodyear Marathon was discontinued in my trailer size and the new Goodyear model was called Endurance. I put the Endurance on my work trailer last year. They are made in CHINA like most other ST tires. On my fifth wheel I have 3 year old very low miles, Goodyear Marathon ST E rated tires. I just took a 1500 mile trip last weekend with my 5th wheel and I lost 3 of the 4 Goodyears in the first 500 miles. I put on what was available because I needed to get down the road and made it the last 1000 miles without a problem. My point being that almost all ST tires are now made in china and rather than the maker I would say the important thing is how old they are. I plan to change my trailer tires now every two years regardless of the miles on the tires.

Latest resources

Back