Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

New to RV'g, need some instruction on how to hook up our DVD with a transmitter....

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Elizabethstock

RVF Newbee
Hello RV friends,
we are new to RV'g, just purchased a 22' Newmar Bay Star however our unit had a Dish satelite installed so there was a transmitter that would service both the Dish and DVD. Here's my question, what do we need to purchase to connect our main system DVD to the transmitter?
Thank you for your help,
Kevin and Elizabeth

32’ maybe? Anyway those factory systems are pretty much obsolete and you are better off just getting something to allow streaming. My Bay Star had a dish network receiver on the roof which I removed and gave away. My Ventana had something similar but more elaborate (Winegard stuff) and I removed that to make room for solar. The DVD players connect to the TVs so we can watch old BBC dvds and we have starlink but we almost never watch anything current on TV anyway. Exceptions are things like the Kentucky Derby, Superbowl, Daytona, etc. Anyway I know this probably doesn't help - if you want to make the original system work you probably need to subscribe to something and dig into the manuals to become an expert.

Hello RV friends,
we are new to RV'g, just purchased a 22' Newmar Bay Star however our unit had a Dish satelite installed so there was a transmitter that would service both the Dish and DVD. Here's my question, what do we need to purchase to connect our main system DVD to the transmitter?
Thank you for your help,
Kevin and Elizabeth
Your purchase is a 2022 model year? Was this purchase from a dealer or private party? Wondering what previous owner may have changed if anything. Not sure what transmitter you are referencing, to go from satellite to DVD or TV (streaming) I just change the source on TV.

Hello RV friends,
Thank you for your help,
Kevin and Elizabeth
@Elizabethstock Going to need a bit more info. on what the "transmitter" you are referring to actually is. If you could provide some additional description or photos it may be helpful.

In a basic set up Dish systems contain an antenna (most likely on the roof if factory installed) and a receiver that connects to the TV via a HDMI cable. The Dish system is controlled by a remote. Your TV no doubt also has a remote, and your DVD player likely also has a remote. These days the DVD output is typically HDMI and will connect to a HDMI input on the TV.

There can be many variations of the above set up, for example adding an AV Receiver, or connecting the Dish & DVD player to a HDMI transmitter so the units can be used on TV's that are not in the same location as the Dish receiver and DVD player.

Sorry I don't know what the factory set up in on a 22 BayStar but with some additional information regarding what you have there is likely someone here that can help.

@Elizabethstock Going to need a bit more info. on what the "transmitter" you are referring to actually is. If you could provide some additional description or photos it may be helpful.

In a basic set up Dish systems contain an antenna (most likely on the roof if factory installed) and a receiver that connects to the TV via a HDMI cable. The Dish system is controlled by a remote. Your TV no doubt also has a remote, and your DVD player likely also has a remote. These days the DVD output is typically HDMI and will connect to a HDMI input on the TV.

There can be many variations of the above set up, for example adding an AV Receiver, or connecting the Dish & DVD player to a HDMI transmitter so the units can be used on TV's that are not in the same location as the Dish receiver and DVD player.

Sorry I don't know what the factory set up in on a 22 BayStar but with some additional information regarding what you have there is likely someone here that can help.
I was guessing a typo and its 32’ not 22’ but it could be a typo the other way and a ‘22, not 22’…..? Also just assumed she meant receiver when she said transmitter. So yes, some clarification would help here.

And to the @Elizabethstock, some pics would also be helpful - one of the AV cabinet and another of whatever is on the roof. Its possible, most likely even, that the original owner subscribed to Dish and cancelled that service when the coach was sold, so you have no reception but the OTA antenna right now.

Latest resources

Back