Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

3xPoppa

RVF Regular
Hi, I am looking at purchasing a 2019 Vista 31BE with 6k miles, Gen has 238 hrs for $92k. My concern is how it has been maintained. The Inspector can only tell me about what he sees. Example - this unit has been stored outside in the snow and cold. Inspector says he doesn't see any sign of water leak, but cautions that with the 24" of snow sitting on the roof, when that melts there could be leaks around seals caused by the weight. And a leak might nit be apparent until after the purchase. The current owner only winterized the water system. So I am thinking about buying a new 2022 Vista for $132k. I plan to keep the unit so I am not concerned about the depreciation hit. And I have access to indoor storage all year round, so the unit would be protected. Of course the interest rate is lower on the new. Any thoughts, or similar experiences?

Hi, I am looking at purchasing a 2019 Vista 31BE with 6k miles, Gen has 238 hrs for $92k. My concern is how it has been maintained. The Inspector can only tell me about what he sees. Example - this unit has been stored outside in the snow and cold. Inspector says he doesn't see any sign of water leak, but cautions that with the 24" of snow sitting on the roof, when that melts there could be leaks around seals caused by the weight. And a leak might nit be apparent until after the purchase. The current owner only winterized the water system. So I am thinking about buying a new 2022 Vista for $132k. I plan to keep the unit so I am not concerned about the depreciation hit. And I have access to indoor storage all year round, so the unit would be protected. Of course the interest rate is lower on the new. Any thoughts, or similar experiences?
I am new to the Forum and have been asking some of the same questions. Thinking of new class A pusher versus a couple year old next model up in the lineup. I have read and seen videos regarding mileage and rattles etc. that I assume are going to happen as the rig ages.

Can anyone provide initial comments on potentially when these issues begin too emerged when bus is driven on Interstates and State roads? Really don't want to have issues off the bat may have an impact on our enjoyment of traveling.

T2RV

Ken Central Florida

Having owned three motorhomes (two purchased used and one new), here’s my take. First, ALL motorhomes can have problems at ANY time. Fact of life!

In general, most of the problems on a new coach will occur during the first year of use and should be covered under warranty. This varies a bit with the initial quality of the coach, however; top-tier coaches will have fewer issues and, as you move down to lower tiers, the problems increase. The problems found in top-tier coaches are usually with appliances and peripherals while lower-level coaches can also experience construction-related issues such as roof leaks, sidewall delamination, etc.

On a used coach (at any level), the routine service they have received plays a significant role in the level of serious problems. When considering a used coach, ask for maintenance records and have a certified RV inspector check it out prior to purchase. Generally, the external appearance of a used coach can give you some indication of how they have been maintained, but that’s not a substitute for actual maintenance records. Having maintenance records does not mean that an inspection is not needed, however. That’s always a good idea.

As for a new coach vs one a couple years old (and, possibly, a step up in model line-up), it depends heavily on how much the coach has been used (in order to shake out potential issues) and how meticulously it has been maintained. That’s why service records are so important. All things being equal...except for age...I would have no qualms purchasing a 2-3 year-old coach that has been properly maintained and has passed an inspection by a qualified inspector.

Those are my initial thoughts to the questions posed.

TJ

Last edited:
My personal preference would be new. It almost always is, but it sounds like you will be taking better care of it than the used one, and ssas you say interest rates are lower on the new one. If there are no service records with the used one, that would make me more hesitant.

When problems occur is totally unpredictable. I had a major incident after the first test drive, while still at the factor, another on the drive home. Shower pan cracked with in 4 months. So new or used, you cannot predict.

On the old rig I a major roof leak 2.5 years into ownership. Then at three years, I had to have the roof and ceiling replaced. It was likely leaking before I bought it it just took years before enough water soak the soft ceiling to cause a musty odor, that caused me to pull down the soft cover to discover black mold. The unit was purchased new and the roof inspected by the dealer twice a year, and by me every time I washed the rig (several times per season). Oh and yes it got the SealTech leak test during the first year.

Once the factory fixed all of the problems, it was nearly perfect for the next year and a half when I traded on a larger unit. New owner got a steal!

My personal preference would be new. It almost always is, but it sounds like you will be taking better care of it than the used one, and ssas you say interest rates are lower on the new one. If there are no service records with the used one, that would make me more hesitant.

When problems occur is totally unpredictable. I had a major incident after the first test drive, while still at the factor, another on the drive home. Shower pan cracked with in 4 months. So new or used, you cannot predict.

On the old rig I a major roof leak 2.5 years into ownership. Then at three years, I had to have the roof and ceiling replaced. It was likely leaking before I bought it it just took years before enough water soak the soft ceiling to cause a musty odor, that caused me to pull down the soft cover to discover black mold. The unit was purchased new and the roof inspected by the dealer twice a year, and by me every time I washed the rig (several times per season). Oh and yes it got the SealTech leak test during the first year.

Once the factory fixed all of the problems, it was nearly perfect for the next year and a half when I traded on a larger unit. New owner got a steal!

This is good information. I expect there are variations of quality in the various brands. I am thinking Tiffin or Newmar new or used 2-3 max.

Thank you both

Latest resources

Back