Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Newbie misc questions-internet, safe t plus steering, proteng fire system, surge supressor/ems

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
We are using a Visible phone (25.00 / month) with a cheap router for streaming on our trips and so far, it's been pretty good. We use a crank up batwing for OTA transmission wherever we are. I would NEVER go back to Dish. The fees get ridiculous and if you're in trees it's a no bueno. I've removed the in motion dish from the roof and am thinking of trying to remove the Trav'ler dish if I can find a reliable way to cover the hole.

Hi Tom. Congrats on your new coach.

I’ll address some of your questions.

With Newmar’s comfort drive, I see no reason to put a Safe T Plus unit on your coach. Comfort drive handles everything.

Proteng may be useful for some, but I do not have it on mine. It depends on how much risk you are comfortable with.

Absolutely have a surge protection capability. I have a Hughes Watchdog hardwired in my electrical bay, and I also have a portable Progressive Industries surge protector that I plug into the power pedestal ahead of my 50 amp power cord. Overkill possibly, but it’s what I do.
Thanks for your suggestions.....

We are using a Visible phone (25.00 / month) with a cheap router for streaming on our trips and so far, it's been pretty good. We use a crank up batwing for OTA transmission wherever we are. I would NEVER go back to Dish. The fees get ridiculous and if you're in trees it's a no bueno. I've removed the in motion dish from the roof and am thinking of trying to remove the Trav'ler dish if I can find a reliable way to cover the hole.
great ideas. appreciate the assistance.

Depending on the amount of usage for internet we use FMCA Tech Connect. AT&T box, 24 meg speed, unlimited and no throttling unless you hit a busy tower. Connected the coach to the box and we just connect everything to the coach network.

We use it for streaming and we both used it for work when traveling until we retired.

That can be put on hold when not in use but we kept it active as a backup for the house.

Streaming is difficult for local channels since they all depend on your home location and logging in there periodically. If gone too long they turn off your streaming completely.

Once we start traveling a lot we will probably go with Dish since you can just call and get things set for your new location and turn on / off as needed.
Thanks for the ideas Dennis

I had the Proteng system installed and carry 3 extinguishers, one front, mid, and rear bath. It's something I hope to never have to use, but I'm glad it's there. I mounted a Surge Guard unit in the power bin so there's no issue with theft.
Thanks Jim. Appreciate your thoughts.

... shake up the powder at least annually because it tends to compact due to the vibration and bouncing around that happens on the road. Do this by turning the extinguisher upside down and smacking the bottom a few times with a rubber mallet. Otherwise you might get nothing but CO2 out of it which would be disappointing during an emergency.
This sounds like a good idea. I did not know fire extinguishers settle, but it does make sense. Make this a part of your pre-trip inspection. Thanks RICH.

Last edited:
Also, I read somewhere that extinguishers should be stored horizontally to lessen the effects of the settling by spreading it over a larger area.

Great comments above.
Don't need Safe-T-Plus
I didn't add a fire extinguisher system
Concerning the surge protector.... Purchased a Progressive protector prior to doing a factory pickup. at that time, Newmar would install 2 things at the pickup (as part of the PU cost). I wanted it hardwired (had them add an antenna on the roof for cell/data with the 2nd install). To my surprise, they wouldn't hard wire the suppressor in the rig because it already has a system for protection. I asked how another suppressor would affect the system in the DS and asked again to have it installed anyway. They still wouldn't install it. Ended up selling the suppressor and the rig is now 3 yrs & 8 months of full time use old w/o any issues yet.
While in Newfoundland Canada last summer, the EMS system did a great job of shutting off the electric due to low voltage issues at numerous campgrounds on the Island.

Also, I read somewhere that extinguishers should be stored horizontally to lessen the effects of the settling by spreading it over a larger area.
Makes sense... I've been told to turn vertically stored extinguishers upside down and hit them with a rubber mallet to help with settling. Settling can render them unusable. It's time to do mine again.....

Great comments above.
Don't need Safe-T-Plus
I didn't add a fire extinguisher system
Concerning the surge protector.... Purchased a Progressive protector prior to doing a factory pickup. at that time, Newmar would install 2 things at the pickup (as part of the PU cost). I wanted it hardwired (had them add an antenna on the roof for cell/data with the 2nd install). To my surprise, they wouldn't hard wire the suppressor in the rig because it already has a system for protection. I asked how another suppressor would affect the system in the DS and asked again to have it installed anyway. They still wouldn't install it. Ended up selling the suppressor and the rig is now 3 yrs & 8 months of full time use old w/o any issues yet.
While in Newfoundland Canada last summer, the EMS system did a great job of shutting off the electric due to low voltage issues at numerous campgrounds on the Island.
Thanks for your info. What antenna and Internet equipt do you use? Does the Antenna help in your opinion?

Latest resources

Back