Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Newbie misc questions-internet, safe t plus steering, proteng fire system, surge supressor/ems

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
A Panasonic antenna on the roof just above the Girard Awnings in fact it's attached to one of the brackets holding the awnings. Here's one (prices have climbed). There maybe are better choices now? Panasonic MULTIMAX 5-IN-1 - antenna - AI-CP5DCDWB19

My elder son is a Computer Scientist. He built our router 4yrs ago and used a linux program he modified/programmed to work for us. We use Verizon and it can seek out the best frequency for speed, is set up to automatically tune for the best frequency at 5 am every morning, does automatic backups from our laptops and it works quite well. Recently he said he'll produce another router using a new Qualcomm chip coming out soon along with a Intel chip vs the current Arm based chip being used in the old router. I do recall him saying the latest current Qualcomm chip works well in 5G but lacks when in areas w/o 5G. In reading various forums it seems like Pepwave routers are a good choice. Neal who owns this forum I believe has a good one. A search will yield more info on the Pepwaves.

I rely on our Son to set us up in the tech area. With our laptops, linux operating system, etc.... I'm not the best to ask here. I couldn't even utilize linux w/o the help from him and would have to go with Microsoft.

Thanks for the details. You are very fortunate to have a son that savvy.

A Panasonic antenna on the roof just above the Girard Awnings in fact it's attached to one of the brackets holding the awnings. Here's one (prices have climbed). There maybe are better choices now? Panasonic MULTIMAX 5-IN-1 - antenna - AI-CP5DCDWB19

My elder son is a Computer Scientist. He built our router 4yrs ago and used a linux program he modified/programmed to work for us. We use Verizon and it can seek out the best frequency for speed, is set up to automatically tune for the best frequency at 5 am every morning, does automatic backups from our laptops and it works quite well. Recently he said he'll produce another router using a new Qualcomm chip coming out soon along with a Intel chip vs the current Arm based chip being used in the old router. I do recall him saying the latest current Qualcomm chip works well in 5G but lacks when in areas w/o 5G. In reading various forums it seems like Pepwave routers are a good choice. Neal who owns this forum I believe has a good one. A search will yield more info on the Pepwaves.

I rely on our Son to set us up in the tech area. With our laptops, linux operating system, etc.... I'm not the best to ask here. I couldn't even utilize linux w/o the help from him and would have to go with Microsoft.
That’s ok, I don’t even know what Linux is.

That’s ok, I don’t even know what Linux is.
Rich, Linux is an open source operating system. Apple OS and Microsoft are examples of other operating systems. My laptop is running on a version of Linux called Debian.
Linux is used as an embedded operating system ("OS") for a variety of applications, including household appliances, automotive entertainment systems and network file system appliances. Network OS for routers, switches, domain name system servers, home networking devices and more.

Latest resources

Back