• Commercial/Vendors welcome

NewBies Class A NewMar 2000

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Here is an update after it went over to the chassis and engine side. it ended up having numerous things wrong with it and it did not pass inspection. The list is endless. The good thing is that the owner gave us back 7000 dollars of the 16500 we spent on it, which we are feeling blessed. It needs breaks, pads, differential seal, pinon seal, manifold gaskets and seals, radiator, muffler and exhaust, wheels seals. We were crying. Two different places told us this. One place said it would cost 11,400 and the other 13,000. We had already spent 5500 to seal the exterior, tires, and batteries. We are working on them to lower the price of the labor. Please pray we get things fixed so we can live out a dream of ours.

Well, you can look at it this way. Most people would have not given you anything back. 13,000 plus 5500 is only 18,500 - only two thousand more than you originally planned to spend, so you made out well.

The things you mentioned, belts, seals, gaskets, brakes etc, are all things one would expect to replace on any 20 year old vehicle. For vehicles driving is better than sitting. So one can either wear it out or it will dry out and rot out. Time is not a friend of vehicles.

I would definitely start out camping close to home and putting some nearby road miles on it to tease out any other things that it may need. B e prepared.. These things require regular maintenance and much tweaking and fixing - old or new.

I wish you many years of happy and trouble free - as much as possible - RVing.

It was more than 2000 than we originally planned to spend. I ended up spending 9500 for the RV since she gave us back 7000. I had already spent 5500, which we expected to do. I am spending 7000 more for repairs out of my pocket that I did not expect to spend, and quite frankly had to get a loan for the money. The 7000 she gave me back with go for the other half of the repairs. As far as the things you listed, it was implied that repairs were done and they kept up with it and took it in every year for inspection. In addition, we were told they took it on short trips every weekend. Come to find out, general maintenance was not done. Hind side is always 20/20 when you are looking back. I am grateful she gave me back part of the money, because as it sits, it was only worth 10,000. Repairs are more than what you mention, it was all the exhaust system, radiator, manifold and gaskets to name a few. We were also informed that because it was in and out of a cave that this was somehow a way to preserve it. Not true. We plan on taking it near by once it's out of the shop, still waiting on parts. We are happy with the outcome and I know that once we get the major things repaired, that we will be starting an RV fund. This was a good learning experience and turned out better than expected. We are grateful!!Thanks for the post!

Update: Our Rv continues to sit at the shop getting repairs. So far it has had the rear diff seal replaced. manifold and manifold gaskets replaced, muffler and exhaust replaced, and now working on getting the radiator either fixed or replaced. Ed at Midway Ford in Kansas City has done an awesome job of working with us to give us a fair deal on everything. It’s taken awhile because of the wait for parts. I’m really pleased. He is the only one I will communicate with if you need to get something done when traveling through Kansas City. I know this will be a learning curve. We only know how to drive the RV and nothing else. Is there a video on the basics of honking up, etc? Any helpful info is appreciated.

Don’t worry about what it’s “worth” - that’s an extremely fluid number. What is it worth to YOU? What can you afford?
get a lot of opinions from different sources.
We have had zero experience with gas models, but we alternated between shock at the cost of repais to our diesel, and pleased amazement at how well it stood up to many situations.
A repairman once reminded us that it’s a crackerbox on wheels that’s constantly being exposed to a hurricane and earthquake when moving.
We had several years experience with our older diesel Rvs and appears to me, that after a certain age, or mileage, ...that you are going to spend the same total $$ whether it’s upfront on a newer model or repairs on an older model.
I think this ’sweet spot” depends on the model, history, and luck.
As with everything, preventative maintenance and safety is paramount .
But (I try not to think about this too much), one bad accident with a stupid driver, could cause you to lose everything.
We could tell you some stories, but ... take every precaution, and then some. Safety first!

Latest resources

Back