• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Newest dilemma

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I still don't really see the advantage of an M18 "inflator" over the M12. I suppose the stronger battery is matched with a stronger motor so as to inflate things quicker if you are in a hurry. They both only go up to 150 psi and the M12 is certainly lighter and more compact. I'm all about options that are lighter and smaller when loading my coach down with stuff. I don't see myself being in a rush to add a couple of psi. I usually hook it up, set it, and then do some walk around inspecting or something until I hear it stop. I'm not rushing any pre-trip prep work, I've learned that lesson.

My coach stays literally three feet away from my home shop "paint a car/run a blast cabinet" compressor. So on my shortish road trips an inflator does for me. Others have pointed out they want blow things out/clean with compressed air and maybe some other similar stuff when away from a home base. For them an actual compressor certainly makes sense.

If I were vested in Dewalt already I don't think I'd jump brands just for one tool. I have NO interest in investing in more batteries and charges that are incompatible with what I have. That said, I was given a dead Ryobi little saw that seemed interesting but I didn't want to invest much in seeing if it could be made to work. I found there to be a battery adapter on eBay (can't afford Amazon) pretty cheap and gave it a shot. Even though it's a 20 volt and my Milwaukee battery is 18 volts it all works fine. A little wobbly maybe but it works and I've grown to like it. So if you have batteries for one line there might be options to crossbreed another brand tool. If you must. :)

Look on Amazon, there are several with different ratings. Find what is best for you. I carry two small units 120 volt and 12 volt. Not sure I still need the 12v but I carry and use it some times.

Ok, my original tires were rated for 80 psi. My new tires need 100psi. I really don’t have room to store and carry a compressor with a tank.
Did your rig suddenly gain many pounds of weight when you replaced the tires? If the original tires were safely carrying the weight at 80 psi then the new tires should also be able to safely carry the weight at 80 psi. Pumping them up to 100 psi, when it's not needed, will result in a very harsh ride and possible handling issues.

Did your rig suddenly gain many pounds of weight when you replaced the tires? If the original tires were safely carrying the weight at 80 psi then the new tires should also be able to safely carry the weight at 80 psi. Pumping them up to 100 psi, when it's not needed, will result in a very harsh ride and possible handling issues.
My RV didn’t change but I replaced the original “cheap” tires. New tires are higher rating.

Ok, my original tires were rated for 80 psi. My new tires need 100psi. I really don’t have room to store and carry a compressor with a tank.

What do you use / recommend that is portable, reasonable size and will handle the load. The inflator I have fits under my back seat, plugs into a regular plug 🔌 is rated to 125 but the air hose gets very hot and at 90 psi the “clip” pops off the tire

VIAIR​

My RV didn’t change but I replaced the original “cheap” tires. New tires are higher rating.
My comment is still valid: if the new tires can safely carry the weight at 80 PSI then there is no need to increase the PSI. Also, if the RV came with the 80 PSI tires then I would suspect that the wheels are rated for close to 80 PSI as well - increasing the pressures to a value higher than the wheel rating is asking for trouble!

Higher load rating comes by increasing tire pressure. That is how it's done. However you will still inflate based on load, not capacity of the tire.

So I ordered the Dewalt from Amazon on Friday ($105 at the time) plus an AC/DC power brick and once it arrives will report back.

The Dewalt arrived today. First impression is that it's smaller than I expected (because I didn't bother to look at the dimensions), 12" x 10" x 5". Decently put together but I wouldn't bang it around too much. 12v cable (cig lighter type) and the power socket are inside a side door. Inlet and outlet are in the opposite side. High pressure hose is about 24" (didn't measure) with a screw-on end. I plugged it in to the house with the knock-off brand adapter I bought and put it to work on my SS Agile's rear tires. Power on, rotary dial to set the shutoff pressure and then press play.
71.3 psi to 80 psi in 4:10. 69.4 to 80 in 6:00 flat. I then tested the tires pressures with my AstroAI digital gauge which read 79 and 78.9 respectively. One pound off. But don't ask me if it was the Dewalt or AstroAI which were wrong. Maybe both.
Overall I am happy with it. It's about average loud for an inflator (louder than a compressor though.) One slight downside is the auto power-off is quick, maybe two minutes. Once it turns off you need to reset the shutoff pressure (even if power to the tool is maintained).

Hope all that helps!

IMG_2337.JPG

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back