• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Newmar diesel def questions

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Do you change it on an empty tank? Or it does not matter?
I was going to ask FL at Gaffney to do it.

Doesnt matter if there’s DEF in the tank - the filter housing should be dry when its not running. But having FL do it is probably a good call because its such a quick easy job they probably only charge a 1/4 hour for it, and it keeps you from crawling under rig.

this is all school of hard knocks stuff and not research or the advice of techs or the result of a seminar or whatever. But I figure for the cost it’s cheap insurance and my passion about these emissions systems starts and stops with avoiding ever being stranded by the complexity and fragility of them again
AMEN

Rich W, thanks for all the pertinent information you supplied!

If its Freightliner, and maybe also for Spartan, the filter is located on the pump, behind the round cap on the center/right side of the pic. The pump (called a DEF Supply Module) is usually located at the bottom rear of the tank (facing the filler neck). The filter is available for around $60 if it says Bosch on the box, or around twice that if says Cummins (also Bosch). Having already experienced a pump failure, I carry a spare. Here’s a link showing a Bosch filter for about half price:
Your part# may be different of course.
I have a 2014 king aire. Spartan chassis. Would this fit mine?

I have a 2014 king aire. Spartan chassis. Would this fit mine?
It might but I doubt it. Spartan uses different DEF system components from a different manufacture. But it should be easy enough to find the right part number.

Latest resources

Back