• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Newmar or Tiffin?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
We have been narrowing down our search for a 37 to 40 foot coach, likely to buy new or at least very late model year. We like the Tiffin Allegro bus 40IP and the Newmar Dutch Star 4081 or 3736. All of these models have 1 1/2 baths and all the same bells and whistles. The real question or problem I am having is determining whether Newmar is significantly better than Tiffin and if so where and why? We can look and and buy a Tiffin and have it serviced a lot closer to our home than we can the Newmar. Closest Newmar dealer is 1 1/2 hour away verses 35 minutes to the Tiffin dealer. I am interested to hear from Newmar folks as to why they went Newmar over Tiffin or vice versa. Thanks for your thoughts.

A lot more Newmar guys than Tiffin guys on this site. You want Newmar quality get your wallet out and dig much deeper. You can bash Tiffin all you like. Every big manufacture has problems. Like the comfort drive going out on multiple Newmars at $8K to $12K a hit. DEF failures, generator failures, solar panel failures, and more.

Everybody has a favorite usually the one they own. I was on a caravan tour for 6K miles last year.their were 24 coaches involved, of the 24 there were 4 Tiffins and 2 Newmars. One Newmar lost his second air condition in CO. Had a new one shipped in and replaced was a 2020. The other a 2018 had a major slide failure cold not get it in. Finally a local tech got it in, but it never worked the rest of the trip.

Oh yeah my Tiffins 50 amp plug separated from the rubber power cord, duck tape to the rescue.

The biggest question should be how close is the dealership that's going work on your coach. It's not fun to drive back to the mothership when it's over 1k miles away.
Or how far to a dealership you trust / how far to the mothership
Can you deal with first come first serve or do you want to make a definite appt.

I traded in my 2018 Tiffin for my 2023 Newmar New Aire 3543. Although I've only had one support ticket with Newmar Customer Support, I have to admit I haven't been impressed. After nearly 3 months after discovering the factory installed Lithionics lithium batteries along with a solar charge controller that doesn't support lithium iron phosphate batteries at the factory (Xantrex C60 supports Lead Acid and Nicad; they have a different model that supports lithium), I've yet to receive a response other than "our engineers are investigating" and that was on Jun 15th. I've pinged them again for another update since they've gone MIA on me.

My previous experience with Tiffin factory customer service was night and day difference. Tiffin's was always very responsive and extremely helpful. They'd even ship me parts direct free of charge so I could resolve issues myself.
Don't get me wrong, I do love my New Aire, but at the same time I am seeing a stark contrast between the two customer support organizations even though Newmar luxury vehicles carry premium pricing... Thus far I am truly missing Tiffin's customer support organization.

Best,
-Mark

Latest resources

Back