• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Newmar or Tiffin?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
We have been narrowing down our search for a 37 to 40 foot coach, likely to buy new or at least very late model year. We like the Tiffin Allegro bus 40IP and the Newmar Dutch Star 4081 or 3736. All of these models have 1 1/2 baths and all the same bells and whistles. The real question or problem I am having is determining whether Newmar is significantly better than Tiffin and if so where and why? We can look and and buy a Tiffin and have it serviced a lot closer to our home than we can the Newmar. Closest Newmar dealer is 1 1/2 hour away verses 35 minutes to the Tiffin dealer. I am interested to hear from Newmar folks as to why they went Newmar over Tiffin or vice versa. Thanks for your thoughts.

We have been narrowing down our search for a 37 to 40 foot coach, likely to buy new or at least very late model year. We like the Tiffin Allegro bus 40IP and the Newmar Dutch Star 4081 or 3736. All of these models have 1 1/2 baths and all the same bells and whistles. The real question or problem I am having is determining whether Newmar is significantly better than Tiffin and if so where and why? We can look and and buy a Tiffin and have it serviced a lot closer to our home than we can the Newmar. Closest Newmar dealer is 1 1/2 hour away verses 35 minutes to the Tiffin dealer. I am interested to hear from Newmar folks as to why they went Newmar over Tiffin or vice versa. Thanks for your thoughts.
Both coaches are awesome. I worked in the RV field for 44 years and made my Choice Newmar.

Service access is critical. That was one of the main reasons I bought Newmar. That said investigate the quality of the dealer. My dealer is 12 hours away. There are no dealers near me that I want to depend on for service. I am very seldom near home anyhow. I prefer a good local mobile tech, or the manufacturer for service.

You have to consider how you will use the coach. If you plan to spend any time in cold weather, I think the insulation in the Newmar is superior.

Tiffin offers liquid springs, Newmar offers Comfort Drive.

Tiffin is owned by Thor, while Newmar is owned by Winnebago. Does that make a difference? Only time will tell.

You likely will not go wrong with either. It often takes two years or so to work out all of the bugs, whatever brand you buy, if new.

As per your question, for me;
1) Newmar Service Center goes by appt / Tiffin - first come first serve
2) Newmar has multiple service option that are easier for me to access. I
don’t have a toad, so finding a hotel is not a good option, nor is leaving it,
until the dealer gets a chance to look at it.
3) Newmar’s superior insulation
4) Generally, I don’t want anything owned by Thor. Hopefully Thor would not
interfere with Tiffin operation, but who knows?

Generally, I don’t want anything owned by Thor. Hopefully Thor would not interfere with Tiffin operation, but who knows?
Yep, and with all due respect for those who have Thor products, but Thor has built a huge reputation for taking care of the customer until he exits the dealership. And I simply hate companies who work hard to dodge accountability.

Not to say that this is exclusive to Thor, but Thor seems to have made an artform of it.

Yep, and with all due respect for those who have Thor products, but Thor has built a huge reputation for taking care of the customer until he exits the dealership. And I simply hate companies who work hard to dodge accountability.

Not to say that this is exclusive to Thor, but Thor seems to have made an artform of it.
Thor purchased Airstream in 1980 and has been basically hands-off with Airstream but I do agree on their own Thor brand they have not had the best reputation for service after sale. Hopefully, they will take the Airstream model with Tiffin.

I have run into a few newer Tiffin owners at RV parks recently and a common theme of conversation is frustration with warranty items and customer service. So far I have not had to experience Newmar service much but what little contact I have had I am happy with. They are having a hard time getting new 'Thank You ' jackets of the correct size to us but I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth:cool:

We are also trying to choose between Tiffin and Newmar with bath and a half. Looking at the 40 and 45 footers. We're mostly looking at 2019- 2021 used in order to fit our budget and hubby definitely has his eye on tag axle.
The biggest drawback for me being older and having had a knee replacement this year, I am seriously concerned about that step into the bathroom in the Newmar. Both times I've been inside a Newmar I have tripped coming out of the bathroom. Maybe I'm just a klutz but this is a huge concern for me. Anyone else have a problem with this?

Like anything else, you get used to it. My wife had the same concern but after 6 trips in the RV she has not tripped or stumbled over the threshold.
After owning the DS and speaking with Tiffin owners about their issues, I am very happy with the choice we made.

Like anything else, you get used to it. My wife had the same concern but after 6 trips in the RV she has not tripped or stumbled over the threshold.
After owning the DS and speaking with Tiffin owners about their issues, I am very happy with the choice we made.
Thank you for the feedback, Rusty. Still keeping an open mind and looking. Stay safe out there.

We are also trying to choose between Tiffin and Newmar with bath and a half. Looking at the 40 and 45 footers. We're mostly looking at 2019- 2021 used in order to fit our budget and hubby definitely has his eye on tag axle.
The biggest drawback for me being older and having had a knee replacement this year, I am seriously concerned about that step into the bathroom in the Newmar. Both times I've been inside a Newmar I have tripped coming out of the bathroom. Maybe I'm just a klutz but this is a huge concern for me. Anyone else have a problem with this?

The step isn't an issue with us. I'm typically up first in the morning and don't even need to turn the lights on (to disturb the DW) when going from the rear bath to the front of the rig.
We were comparing an Entegra Anthem 44A vs the DS because both companies construct their "hung walls" with studs in a similar manner. You'll find that both post their R values and are better insulated than the Tiffin's.

Thanks for the feedback and construction info, JRS. I think we'll broaden our search. Don't know anything about Integra. Will have to take a look. Stay safe.

Latest resources

Back