• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Newmar or Tiffin?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
We have been narrowing down our search for a 37 to 40 foot coach, likely to buy new or at least very late model year. We like the Tiffin Allegro bus 40IP and the Newmar Dutch Star 4081 or 3736. All of these models have 1 1/2 baths and all the same bells and whistles. The real question or problem I am having is determining whether Newmar is significantly better than Tiffin and if so where and why? We can look and and buy a Tiffin and have it serviced a lot closer to our home than we can the Newmar. Closest Newmar dealer is 1 1/2 hour away verses 35 minutes to the Tiffin dealer. I am interested to hear from Newmar folks as to why they went Newmar over Tiffin or vice versa. Thanks for your thoughts.

We came from the world of Tiffin, owning first a 2018 37AP bus and then a 2021 40IP bus. We have a lot of good things to say about Tiffin, but ultimately we traded the 40IP for a 2022 Newmar Mountain Aire 4118. We liked the 40IP floor plan and many other features of the 40IP. We had also met Bob Tiffin several times and felt that he really was about doing the right thing for his customers...

Ultimately though after about 45k miles between the two busses what got us looking at the Newmar was how the 40IP drove in the wind and in corners. The 40IP leans heavy in the curves and is easily blown around in gusty winds or passing trucks. We also had had a number of issues with the Shwintec slides over time.

With the drive issues, people talk about the Comfort Drive, (which is great!), but we found that the heavier sprung chassis, with Tag axil also had a huge impact on the way it drove. Also, the 40IP only had about 2600lbs of available payload so we often only carried about 20-30% fresh water which at times got us in a bind. The lack of payload, (or light suspension) caused a lot of leaning in curves which made mountain driving uncomfortable at times. If a corner says 30 mph, trust me that is all the faster you can take it...

The Newmar was more expensive, but my wife and I decided that it being much easier to drive in less that than ideal conditions would allow us to continue with the journey much longer as we age...

Newmar by far. As was stated the drive is far superior IMHO.

We are pretty much sold on Newmar DutchStar 4018. Thinking of buying new but would not be opposed to a used unit under 5 years old. There is one at a local dealer, a 2017 unit with 35,000 miles. That seems high but with the quality of the build of the Newmar would I kick myself for not going new?

I don’t think 35,000 is all that high, we had 30k on our 2017 DS when we got rid of it 12/2019. We have 35k on our 2020 DS now

We decided on a unit at our most local dealer. We want a 2022 4081 and they are getting sparse. The dealer came down 20%, I am thinking of pressing for at least another 5%. They don’t seem to be having a problem moving their coaches. We don’t like the fabric on the 23s or the 15% price diff. We won’t let 5% keep us from pulling the trigger but nothing ventured nothing gained.

We decided on a unit at our most local dealer. We want a 2022 4081 and they are getting sparse. The dealer came down 20%, I am thinking of pressing for at least another 5%. They don’t seem to be having a problem moving their coaches. We don’t like the fabric on the 23s or the 15% price diff. We won’t let 5% keep us from pulling the trigger but nothing ventured nothing gained.

Rustycoach, give Tim Kao at NIRVC Atlanta a call. Just took delivery of a 2023 London Aire last week, they hit it at 28% off right away without back and forth where my local FL dealer wouldn’t do more then 20% and that was after considerable back and forth. Great people and great experience.

Rustycoach, give Tim Kao at NIRVC Atlanta a call. Just took delivery of a 2023 London Aire last week, they hit it at 28% off right away without back and forth where my local FL dealer wouldn’t do more then 20% and that was after considerable back and forth. Great people and great experience.
That’s awesome, congratulations! We ended up buying from Tom Lindstrom in LA. We bought his last 2022 and his first offer was so generous that we did not even counter. Great guy to do business with. We are really enjoying it and have zero buyer’s remorse having gone the Newmar route.

Consider where you can get it repaired. When you buy an RV, you're also buying into a relationship with your dealer and the manufacturer. Can they repair what they sell and do it in a timely manner? The nicest coach is worthless if you can't get it repaired.

The Newmar Service Center in Nappanee is first rate and importantly, you can make appointments (albeit 6 or more months out).

Red Bay is first come, first serve if I remember correctly.

Latest resources

Back