RV Year
RV Make
Forest River
RV Model
Gray Wolf
RV Length
Fulltimer
No
Looking at purchasing new tires for camper, bell tire employee said they don't have nitrogen, is nitrogen in tires worth passing and looking elsewhere? How do I know for shur if they are filled with nitrogen anyway?
Price out the door was 300.00 and tax for 4, 14 inch load range c.

Nitrogen filled tires have a green cap on the stem. It's used allot in race cars. Probably a scam as stated above.

You can buy a canister, or! Modify an OO generator and produce your own. Costco has a service offering, just not sure they will do a MH.

Should not be a game changer! Every time you bring the tire up to pressure, you will be putting OO in the tires.

Nitrogen has different expansion/contraction characteristics as compared to air. You won't see pressure swings in nitrogen filled tires like you will in
"normal" air filled tires. The problem I have always had with nitrogen filled tires, is that you have to find a tire shop that offers nitrogen service when you do have a low tire.

Nitrogen has different expansion/contraction characteristics as compared to air. You won't see pressure swings in nitrogen filled tires like you will in
"normal" air filled tires. The problem I have always had with nitrogen filled tires, is that you have to find a tire shop that offers nitrogen service when you do have a low tire.

In my opinion it is nice to have dry inert gas in tires, when offered that would be my preference.

That said, clean and dry is critical in my thinking.

Normal atmosphere is about 78% nitrogen.

According to the all knowing rectangle of knowledge…..

IMG_1488.jpeg

I agree, clean dry air is the only must have. I would challenge anyone to have one tire filled with “air” and another with nitrogen and see any significant difference to the temp and pressure of the tires at operating temperature

Here is a did you know!

Did you know the inner surface of the tires carcass has a different rubber compound?

This is necessary to make a tubeless tire. The compound allows a membrane builtin to the body of the tires so the pressure is maintained.

Have you wondered why as a tire gets older you have to adjust pressure more often?

Yes because that membrane starts to oxidize!!! Put simply, no oxygen, no oxidization!!!

I have no problem with handling on my vehicles,as long as my tires are equally inflated! However if one tire is at a different pressure The vehicle seems less stable! The only answer to that problem is to observe a table on unlevel ground!!!

Because I love you-all I won't challenge you to fill only one tire with nitrogen,to see how it goes!

I am looking for an old oxygen concentrator to modify as a nitrogen concentrator. You can do whatever you feel comfortable with! Just as I will!!! In the meantime, the Costco service seems reasonable!!!

The prior owner of our setup was a pilot - he carried a nitrogen cylinder in the cargo area in the trailer strapped to the wall. Used the nitrogen on the trailer tires but not in the coach tires.
Over time (after rotating and remounting tires and no longer using nitrogen in trailer tires) we noticed that the trailer tire pressures have a much higher fluctuation in pressures than they used to when going to higher elevations and changing temps.
Been considering going back to nitrogen again.

Latest resources

Back