• Commercial/Vendors welcome

No power to outlets on Essex

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Since power to the outlets goes through the inverter and they don’t work, and power to the AC and stove doesn’t and they do, and given that the GFIs and breakers checked out, I’m also voting inverter.

Since power to the outlets goes through the inverter and they don’t work, and power to the AC and stove doesn’t and they do, and given that the GFIs and breakers checked out, I’m also voting inverter.
But there is one (1) that still works, and it's a GFI in the bathroom.

Given that you have plugged into another pedestal and it worked, you have not ruled out the original pedestal yet. Go to the outlets that don't work and test them to a known ground. Test both sides of the outlet. There should be no voltage on the wider blade side as it is the neutral. If wired correctly. Do you have one of the cheap plug in testers? The ones that light up and tell you the status of the plug and wiring? What is the voltage on the hot side of the outlets to a good ground? There is a clue somewhere in there.
Yes I do, somewhere. I'll get on the hunt shortly.

We had an issue with our bully dog complaining about a pedestal. Tested pedestal with DMM and it appeared to be fine.
But bully dog would shut it down. So I had a new unit shipped under warranty. It would not work either (so I sent the new one back).
Also noticed that one of our inverters was showing an error red light.

Could not determine what was wrong - so I added this to my list of things to be fixed on the next trip to the mothership.

After leaving that campground a couple months later, bully dog was happy but that red light would not go away. A bit later due to some other maintenance we decided to shut EVERYTHING down and reboot it all. Shutdown the Coach lithium battery system and BMS, inverters, truck battery, no shore power, even the salesman switch.

After the full reboot, that inverter red light went away.

After reading more about our load balancing switch and how it was configured, I realize that if it weren’t for that load balance we would have had many outlets not working. But that load balancer took the load on the single inverter. Which made me realize why the breaker blew on an inverter once.

The key learning for me - disconnecting from that campground power was not enough - the inverter would not reset itself until after a complete power down.

Don’t know if that helps in this situation or not.
Is there a procedure for a systematic shutdown/restart of the coach's electrical system?

Look at the breaker box likely in the half bath. Cycle breakers there, also it's a good reference of what's on inverter vs. shore power as Newmar typically separates them. There is also a master inverter breaker there that people forget or don't know it's even there. Cycle it.

It's likely as mentioned the inverter breaker but there is also a fuse, I think it's in the house battery bay. I remember MapNerd had an issue from overloading the circuit with hair dryer, air fryer, etc. and this fuse got fried, I ordered spares as many did at that time, it's on this forum somewhere. I'll see if I can find it after this post.

Was this even triggered by a high load such as described above or did it just happen when nothing was in use?

Anyone call Newmar advisor yet (number on driver's side window)? Essex line?

Look at the breaker box likely in the half bath. Cycle breakers there, also it's a good reference of what's on inverter vs. shore power as Newmar typically separates them. There is also a master inverter breaker there that people forget or don't know it's even there. Cycle it.

It's likely as mentioned the inverter breaker but there is also a fuse, I think it's in the house battery bay. I remember MapNerd had an issue from overloading the circuit with hair dryer, air fryer, etc. and this fuse got fried, I ordered spares as many did at that time, it's on this forum somewhere. I'll see if I can find it after this post.

Was this even triggered by a high load such as described above or did it just happen when nothing was in use?

Anyone call Newmar advisor yet (number on driver's side window)? Essex line?

I don't believe so, Neal. From what I understand, everything was normal when they went to town, and they discovered the problem when they returned.

Turn off pedestal. Run GEN. Any change?

Pull out the induction cooktop. There is an outlet there on shore power non inverter. It should be working.

What is the house battery voltage?

I don't know silverleaf but check charger and inverter are on.

Turn off pedestal. Run GEN. Any change?
No, same problem. With generator on, power everywhere except the outlets. With the one exception, the outlet in the middle bath. It still works.

Pulled the breaker from pedestal, tightened power inputs. Tested power coming out. All good.

Plugged the Bully Dog in and it's again happy, but still not power to the outlets.

Made sure all pushbutton breakers on the back of the inverter were not popped. None were. I can hear the fan on the inverter running. Wish there was a way to plug directly into the inverter to see if there was power coming out.

Latest resources

Back