Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Notice for German Shepherd and other large chested breed owners.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Wow, didn't know this could happen to dogs. Glad Rex is doing well now.

Just to add an FYI as this is very common in German Shepard Dogs. If you have a female, there’s a couple of stitches that can be added to the stomach when and if you have your female spayed that will prevent this. I can be done separately for males and females anytime but its a great time to do it when females are being spayed since the abdomen will already be opened.

We picked Rex up from Western Carolina Animal Hospital yesterday and we got home around 8:00pm. He’s wobbly, as expected, but he sure was happy to see us. He had a pretty good night and I know he’s happy to be back with his mom. Doubt he missed me much, but that’s OK. It’s good to see the two of them together.

DSCN5147.JPG

He’s giving you the stink eye.

We had the exact thing happen with our Great Dane. Thankfully I threw him in the truck right away and got him the the Emergency Hospital within an hour. It was Sunday night but the doctor and staff was right on it and he was on the table before we had even finished all of the paperwork etc. They saved his life and tied his stomach also. After a week he was totally himself again. He was 9 and he was our third Dane. We knew of this issue so we never let them out loose after eating. In his case we had fed him and went next door the visit a neighbor. We we got back about 1/2 hour later he was excited to see us as usual but when I took him out he was dry heaving so off we went. In the future we will have out large dogs stomachs stapled when they are fixed to avoid a possible occurrence. So scary.

We picked Rex up from Western Carolina Animal Hospital yesterday and we got home around 8:00pm. He’s wobbly, as expected, but he sure was happy to see us. He had a pretty good night and I know he’s happy to be back with his mom. Doubt he missed me much, but that’s OK. It’s good to see the two of them together.

View attachment 8097
LadyDi and I are glad to know that Rex is back home with his family and responding well. If Ryker is like either one of our two dogs, he was looking for Rex the whole time he was away. There’s no peace in our household if one of the members of the “pack” is missing. Prayers for a speedy and complete recovery for Rex. And, we’re pretty sure he missed you too, @Jim. ;)

TJ

Glad the story had a happy ending!

LadyDi and I are glad to know that Rex is back home with his family and responding well.

TJ
Thank you so much Jim. We are very happy to have him back as well. :)

I have heard of that. My brother's new pup, a Bernese Mountain Dog, had her stomach stapled in place. Its very common for them, so when they spay the females, they auto do it. He also was advised to only feed her in her crate, and she must rest there for a min of 30 minutes before being released.

You had my heart in my throat during your post. I'm glad that he will be OK, hopefully. That is just terrifying to witness, and heart wrenching to be waiting for the call. Keep us posted about Rex.

Yea, it's a fear my wife and I have lived with as we have three standard poodles, which are very prone to bloat. We are also rural, so two hours to the closest 24/7 animal hospital, and hit and miss if my local vet would be available after hours for an emergency surgery.

With our newest poodle, two years old, we did have him tack the stomach when she was spayed. It's what they do after performing the emergency surgery on dogs that get into surgery on time.

We are very careful about not feeding (or drink large quantities of water) the dogs for at least an hour after they've been running around, or letting them run around for an hour after eating.

View attachment 8097
Awwww, big guy. So glad Rex is home. And thank goodness Brian delayed your departure that night. ❤️

Latest resources

Back