Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Number of connections in a 50amp 220v line?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Spent some time today with a tech planning on the installation of the Autoformer. No room in the power bay so it will have to go behind the power bay in the baggage area. There is space between the short slide and back wall of the power bay. Almost like it was planned to have the Autoformer installed there. Just enough room.
The install will be "Hardwired" with Plugs so each piece can be removed from the circuit. If it works out as planned, should be a nice setup.
Once done I'll post Pics.
That is how I setup mine. THe cords go over the top of that back wall easily. I then used a few zip ties /c screw holes to secure the cords to keep them from bouncing.

I used the HAF mount kit. Very happy with the overall setup.

IMG_1170.jpeg

Autoformer and Bulldog surge protector installed. Looking forward to seeing how this operates in the camping environment.

Had to remove the 50. Amp reel to gain access to the “pass through” wall.

1710246072664.jpeg

😎😎

Hi Joe, I have been using both the Hughes products, and am a little confused by the statement that the watchdog will "interfere" with the autoformer boosting voltage. I use mine after dogbone style surge products (including a watchdog currently) and have seen numerous instances where the autoformer was boosting power for me. My theory is/was I would rather risk a $100 dollar ish dogbone first rather than the autoformer in the event of a large surge, lightning, etc. Also, just FYI I have had to replace the internal module in the autoformer twice now per Hughes support, once was under warranty, and once out of warranty, and I keep a spare or two on board. It is a deck of cards sized epoxy covered circuit board with connectors , but it does require removing the top of the autoformer so I would be concerned about burying it. Both replacements required I remove it from the system and sit down with it at the picnic table to swap the parts. Just a thought.

Agree with having spare surge “fuse”. We have a spare for each unit, Autoformer and Surge protector.
Nice to finally have a product that is easily serviceable.
Regarding interference, the way that Hughes explained it to me is the Surge protector will cut power prior to the Autoformer. Hence you will not get the full range of the Autoformer voltage correction before the surge protector cuts power.

Latest resources

Back