Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Number of connections in a 50amp 220v line?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Joe Hogan

RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Dutch Star 4311
RV Length
Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
Preparing to install an Autoformer in the DSDP. Considering the wiring and number of a Connections between the Transfer switch and Power Pedestal?
I‘d like to make the connection as flexible as possible. For instance I’d like to be able to disconnect the Autoformer without much effort.
considering buying a standard 50amp extension cord, cut it in half, connnect that to the Autoformer. Plug one end into the transfer switch cord and the other into shore power cord.
The additional surge protector would be at the post.

That makes Four separate plugs to get power to the Transfer Switch. Not ideal but how much of a current penalty will that cost and what risks does this setup cause??

Joe I think you're over thinking this! Transformers are at least 98% efficient. Why don't you just wire it in directly to the transfer switch?

Oh! To answer your question there shouldn't be any resistance in the plugs.

I did something similar. Here is my setup.

Original setup:
Power Reel hardwired to Transfer switch.

New Setup

1. Power Reel output - removed pig tail going to transfer switch, installed new pig tail with 50AMP Receptacle.

2. Connected HAF to power reel ( plug to recp)

3. Installed EMS50 amp hardwired. Input side installed a 50AMP Plug. Connected this plug to HAF output receptacle

4. The original input to transfer switch was cut and installed on the OUTPUT of the EMS50 amp hardwire.

What I can do now:
1 - Remove HAF by swapping plugs.
2- Bypass cord reel by using a separate cord
3 - Bypass the EMS50 by toggling the bypass switch

Reading the comments and thinking about failure rate of Autoformer which is close to zero, I am considering just hard wire it into the RV.
There will be a surge protector at the shore power pedestal and spare surge protector circuits in stock for both Autoformer and Surge protector. On road repairs should not be too difficult.
Hardwire the unit will save what precious space there is in the power bay.
If it becomes problematic I’ll wire in the plugs to allow isolation of the unit on the fly.

Reading the Autoformer instructions, rare event to read instructions first, noticed that Hughes suggests to install the Autoformer between the power pedestal and the Surge protector. Surge protector prior to the transfer switch.

Speaking with Brett at Hughes, he indicated that the reason they suggest power to the Autoformer then Bull Dog Surge protector is to take full advantage of the Autoformer voltage boost prior to the Bull Dog surge protector.
The Surge Protector will cut power when it detects 104V or lower. If the Bull Dog is installed before the Autoformer, power will be cut before the Autoformer can maintain useable voltage.

Back to the drawing board to design the system in this way.

@Joe Hogan - I spent a bit of time debating the design before finalized it. I ended up going with their recommendation as I outlined above, and have seen firsthand how it makes sense. A few times I have observed the HAF boosting enough that it would have triggered the EMS if the design was reversed.

The reason I used the plugs for this design is due to the fact that there is no surge protector external of the HAF to protect the HAF. In the event that it takes a dive, I want to quickly bypass it.

The other reason, less work. The HAF already has the plug & receptacle, so nothing extra to do with the HAF.

Spent some time today with a tech planning on the installation of the Autoformer. No room in the power bay so it will have to go behind the power bay in the baggage area. There is space between the short slide and back wall of the power bay. Almost like it was planned to have the Autoformer installed there. Just enough room.
The install will be "Hardwired" with Plugs so each piece can be removed from the circuit. If it works out as planned, should be a nice setup.
Once done I'll post Pics.

Do you plan to have the AF routinely connected, or only connect when you have low voltage?

This setup will be always connected unless there is an issue with a component.

Latest resources

Back