Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Resolved OASIS Electric elements not working?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
2017 Newmar Ventana with OASIS hydronic heating system. I may be jumping the gun but I ran the water in the kitchen sink and had no hot water. I looked up and saw that the green light was not on next to AC I/II with the switch set to AC II. I went out to the bay and the power was on and no red lights. I came in and turned on the burner and now I have hot water but still nothing on the AC heating. I'm hesitant to cycle anything as I do have hot water and don't want to lose that.

Breakers for AC I and II both are ON but I did not reset them.

Any ideas why AC II is not coming on?

Could this be related to the work you recently had done? Could the service guys have turned off the AC1/AC2 breaker because they didn't know how else to turn the system off while the coach was in the shop? Otherwise, despite your reluctance to do so, I'm thinking a full reset (salesman switch) is probably in order. Or, maybe a phone call to ITR?

TJ

No, I don't think it's related to the Cummins work and I haven't had an issue since returning last Friday until now. This morning I did a salesman switch cycle twice for the aisle lights dilemma, not sure if that caused an issue. I just killed power at the pedestal and waited 10 seconds and brought shore power back online, no change. I cycled the two OASIS breakers, no change. I pulled the two 12V fuses related to OASIS after powering down OASIS, no change. I've been through the service manual and it's not helping much. I may need to check the 2 x 120V connections again that had shorted 1-2 years ago we all talked about at that time and see if something came loose but I'll likely have to call ITR before going further and see what they suggest before messing anything up.

Our systems work differently; SilverLeaf controls the Oasis in our coach, so I'm not familiar with the switches you referred to. They probably function the same, but ours is hidden (probably relays vs switches). Actually, your switches probably control relays somewhere to feed power to AC1/AC2. Do you know if they are plug-in relays that may have failed?

TJ

Following

Good morning Neal,
I had the same problem with my Oasis. It turned out that it was another bright idea of some electrical professional. They hooked up high load 3 way connection using spade connectors.
Eventually overheated and melted the spiral wrap insulation etc. Lucky I did not have fire.
The offending part is on the left side when facing the control panel. You have to remove the next shroud which is about 4" (no big deal)
One other option is that the AC relay could have gone bad. It is in the same area.

IMG_0402.JPG
IMG_3197.JPG

Thanks Buly and I had that too about 2 years ago. This afternoon I’m going to check the 120V connections again.

Many thanks to Kevin and Randy at ITR Heat for their outstanding and extensive help today in troubleshooting this issue. This was yes ANOTHER short but this one further down under the hour meter. Most likely this short was an extension of the prior but remained intact until now over a year later. If you want to inspect your wires as this OASIS setup seems to be quite the hazard you can pull the hour meter and also the front face plate of the OASIS system and inspect with a flashlight carefully.

It also appears since the last short I likely, if ever, had both AC I/II heating elements working. I'll create a new post on how to test your OASIS so you know both AC I and AC II are in fact working for you. I never really thought that much of the electric elements such as for showering and this is why, new post coming on that.

So I'm all set, no new parts needed, just a lot of wiring verification and do overs and fixing the short AGAIN but in a different area.

short.JPG

This is really concerning we are driving around with known hazards in our coaches. I am not an electrician and now I am going to find someone or someplace that is going to do a full inspection of my oasis because I want to know that there is no known fire hazard in my coach. It’s ridiculous we should even have to do this. I am preaching to the choir I know. I’ll shut up here.

No breakers ever tripped but I think that's because it was a clean break and possibly that the AC relay is connected in so with the break in the relay it essentially never called for power. Yes, the OASIS wiring is a big concern for all, the first situation threw large sparks hence driving me to install smoke detectors in the basement. While these things are unfortunate something good always comes from it.

Latest resources

Back