• Commercial/Vendors welcome

On our way to Alaska

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
It was bad, but not as bad as people let on. You just have to go slow in some places. You’ll never get up to the speed limit. By map it says it will take you 1 1/2 hrs. Expect twice that. We spent the night in Chicken. All you get is power or dry camp which is what we did for $28. We could have used a pullin along side of the road but we had to see the little community. We did slip with a momma moose and her baby this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_3112.jpeg
    IMG_3112.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3115.jpeg
    IMG_3115.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3110.jpeg
    IMG_3110.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3106.jpeg
    IMG_3106.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3123.jpeg
    IMG_3123.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3122.jpeg
    IMG_3122.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3113.jpeg
    IMG_3113.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 13
We’re in Northern Lights RV campground for tonight near Glennalen AK. We did not get an air raid signal at all, but were were bombarded with mosquitoes. Thousands of them. Relentless atttack. The dogs could not handle it and went back to the rv. We could not get the door open and closed fast enough. Hundreds of them got in and we spent 45 min swatting and killing them. Crazy. Guess we’re stuck inside.

We made it to Chicken AK today. Not a long drive, but kind of a cool place to stop. There is no electricity for the community. Each business generates their own power.

man, I really need to get back up that way. Oddly, a friend was in Chicken yesterday as well. She’s riding her bike, and this was the sixth day out of Skagway.

IMG_7681.jpeg

We’re in Northern Lights RV campground for tonight near Glennalen AK. We did not get an air raid signal at all, but were were bombarded with mosquitoes. Thousands of them. Relentless atttack. The dogs could not handle it and went back to the rv. We could not get the door open and closed fast enough. Hundreds of them got in and we spent 45 min swatting and killing them. Crazy. Guess we’re stuck inside.
I hunt mosquitos before bed by turning most of the lights off and panning a flashlight along the surface of the ceiling (and any other flat surface). This easily reveals skeeters by their shadows that you would otherwise not notice until they are in your ear in the middle of the night after mercilessly biting you anywhere they can. This is a nightly ritual for me on skeeter country.

Last edited:
I wonder how beneficial one of the Thermacell products would be in battling the mosquitos?

We made it to Whittier AK. Very scenic drive getting there and then going through the tunnel. They had a summer solstice cardboard boat race at the town docks with free food. It was a bit of fun. Then looked at the Buckner building my dad built in the early fifties. We’re staying an extra day. A lot of little shops and history here.

Attachments

• IMG_3125.jpeg
    IMG_3125.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3128.jpeg
    IMG_3128.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3129.jpeg
    IMG_3129.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3130.jpeg
    IMG_3130.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3131.jpeg
    IMG_3131.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3133.jpeg
    IMG_3133.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3135.jpeg
    IMG_3135.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3136.jpeg
    IMG_3136.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3141.jpeg
    IMG_3141.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3142.jpeg
    IMG_3142.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
Great trip so far! Keep those pics coming!

Great trip so far! Keep those pics coming!
What he said.

It appears you found a way to get your coach washed?

I used to read your narrative and then open the pictures. Now I open the pictures first while drinking my coffee and then read about what I just saw. Thanks for taking the time to post these, very informative. Safe travels!!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back