Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I'm late to this game and finally got on board with the water softener two years into my RVing experience. I bought one knowing I would be traveling to the great south west for the winter but got caught off guard on an east coast location in Cape Charles, VA with hard water. I use this all the time now and it's no hassle. Regen is simple per the YouTube video below done by simply adding salt. After the regen is complete you do not taste or smell salt, some chemist knows what they are doing! I have heard to try to keep it out of the sun and of course like your city water connection stow it at night if going below freezing temps. Works great, shower glass remains clean but it is not something to use for RV washing as that's what DI rinse is for, this is not DI rinse.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KVPNVJ6/?tag=rvf01-20

otg-water-softener.png

We are certainly enjoying our OnTheGo.

It was getting to the point I was adding salt every 2 or 3 weeks (large model). Another Newmar owner was talking to me up north a couple months ago and asked me how often I was back flushing it. I have had it for about 5 or 6 months and NEVER back flushed it. I actually forgot all about doing that!

Needless to say I looked up the process and did it, plus put in a couple containers of salt because it was due. It is lasting a month or slightly longer now since doing the back flush.

I have heard nothing of this requirement/suggestion to backflush it. Do you have any info or links on the process? News to me. Thanks for sharing the tip.

Tizbad (from iRV2) forum was in the same Illinois CG as me recently. He (Stu) has one of these softeners and we were talking about how well they performed. He asked me how often I found it needed back flushed and I was like "what????"

He told me you had to do it every few months. I dug out my literature and sure enough it said to back flush every 3 months for 2 - 5 minutes. You just take your hoses off and blow water through it in reverse. I bypass my second whole house filter of course and just back flush the softener. Mine certainly needed this procedure because my salt is lasting much longer now.

Regarding the regen cycle, a simple hardness test should indicate the effectiveness of the softener. Simple test of water before and after the On The Go softener should indicate when you need to regen the On the GO.
We used the On The GO extensively on our last six week cross country through the South and Southwest this Fall. We regenerated mid trip. Water was satisfactory throughout the trip. BTW We do not drink or cook with the water stored in the RV, prefer to drink and cook with bottled water when traveling.

I have this one: 1573844951143.png. The instructions state
Regeneration should be performed when the hardness
from your system exceeds 3 grains per gallon as indicated
on the supplied water test strips
. I use it every place we go. I probably should back flush it since I forget about that and have never done so.........

I have this one: View attachment 189. The instructions state . I use it every place we go. I probably should back flush it since I forget about that and have never done so.........
I was thinking about getting the On the Go...are there some advantages to the Flow-Pur?

I was thinking about getting the On the Go...are there some advantages to the Flow-Pur?
I don't know if there is any advantage of one over the other. Mine is a 10,000 grain unit and regens use 2 pounds of salt per.I usually only dump in one container. The round containers only hold 1lb 10oz so I regen slightly more often. I certainly don't want to go without it.

Time to revive this thread...

I'm about to purchase an OTG water softener...debating between the 8,000 vs 16,000 models. The 8,000 would certainly be easier to store and setup. However, does the need to regenerate more frequently outweigh that? Are there other advantages of the larger model/disadvantages of smaller model?

Thanks...

We went with the large one for a couple of reasons. With my Newmar model I knew I would never plumb it to be used inside my wet bay and it would always be something I would set up outside, so the larger size was not a factor there. The other factor was being full time it would be getting used 365 days a year so I felt larger was better.

I do have mine ratchet strapped onto a cheap hand cart. Even after adding an extra whole house filter it is pretty easy to wheel around and store in a curb side storage bay. I do empty most of the water out prior to moving it and that lessens the weight a lot.

Just a side note. We wish we would have purchased one of these years ago.

Latest resources

Back