On The Go Portable RV Water Softener

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Time to revive this thread...

I'm about to purchase an OTG water softener...debating between the 8,000 vs 16,000 models. The 8,000 would certainly be easier to store and setup. However, does the need to regenerate more frequently outweigh that? Are there other advantages of the larger model/disadvantages of smaller model?

Thanks...

I'm solo and I got the large one and I think you'd regret getting the smaller one. I want to do regens as little as possible, it's just another maintenance task that if I can put it off then that's better. Yeah, it's a little heavy but it's manageable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KVPNVJ6/?tag=rvf01-20

We also went for the large size. If you can manage the size it is a good choice. Regenerating can use a lot of time and water. It may take some time to find the right spot to perform this service. We were lucky on our trip this fall and found state parks with plenty of water and drainage to regen the unit. About once a month or so for us.

@Neal , @JoeHogan Thanks for your input.

I just ordered the larger unit from Camping World. Total $211.33 (+tax, includes shipping). I was concerned about the model...their website lists it as the OTG3, whereas Amazon lists theirs as OTG4. I called OTG and was assured they are in fact identical...different model numbers for internal marketing purposes only.

I used promo code "Winter15" for 15% off their normal price of $249.33

When I hear statements referring to “salt lasting longer”, it‘s obvious that the water softening and regeneration process is not fully understood. I looked at the On The Go website and sure enough, as expected, they had a very concise definition. It is here:
[begin copy & paste]
How Does a Water Softener Work? The principle behind water softening is really just simple chemistry. A water softener contains resin beads which hold electrically charged ions. When hard water passes through the softener, calcium and magnesium ions are attracted to the charged resin beads. It's the resulting removal of calcium and magnesium ions that produces "soft water."

The idea behind how a water softener works is simple. The calcium and magnesium ions in the water are replaced with sodium ions. Since sodium does not precipitate out in pipes or react badly with soap, both of the problems of hard water are eliminated. To do the ion replacement, the water in the house runs through a bed of small plastic beads or water softener resin. The resin is covered with sodium ions. As the water flows past the sodium ions, they swap places with the calcium and magnesium ions. Eventually, the resin contain nothing but calcium and magnesium and no sodium, and at this point they stop softening the water. It is then time to regenerate the resin.

Regeneration involves soaking the resin in a stream of sodium ions. Salt sodium chloride, so the water softener mixes up a very strong brine solution and flushes it through resin (this is why you load up a water softener with salt). The strong brine displaces all of the calcium and magnesium that has built up in the resin and replaces it again with sodium. The remaining brine plus all of the calcium and magnesium is flushed out. [End copy & paste]

All references to: Learn - On The Go - Portable Water Softener

I can agree to a statement about periods between regenerations are longer since implementing a periodic backflush, but making salt last longer is just plain incorrect. The need for regeneration is determined by using test strips. After a while, your skin will replace the test strips. You’ll know.

Has anyone installed a sediment filter before the OTG water softener? if so, which one?

I hung a 10" filter on the side of my OTG softener. I use a cheap 5 micron filter in it and change it the same time I change my WH filter, which is every month or two.

I also wash the coach, my car, and the Harley with the softened/filtered water. It leaves a lot less spots.

The double is the best.

I've gone a full year without backflushing or a Regen. Just tested it the other day, and it's still cranking out really soft water!

I bought two large black Bin trays from Home Depot, and put a section of small pool noodle along each side, glued down, to form a cradle for both my DI and SW tanks. They lay flat in the bay on the wet side. My process is to pull them out BEFORE putting the FWS out, which REALLY saves the back.

My quick connect system is a GODSEND, and I can hook everything up in about 20 seconds.

Attachments

• IMG_9976.jpeg
    IMG_9976.jpeg
    355.9 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
The double is the best.

I've gone a full year without backlashing or a Regen. Just tested it the other day, and it's still cranking out really soft water!

I bought two large black Bin trays from Home Depot, and put a section of small pool noodle along each side to form a cradle for both my DI and SW tanks. They lay flat in the bay on the wet side. My process is to pull them out BEFORE putting the FWS out, which REALLY saves the back.

My quick connect system is a GODSEND, and I can hook everything up in about 20 seconds.
@CaptainGizmo , looks like a nice setup. What kind of filter is that ahead of the OTG?

Latest resources

Back