Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Operating a pneumatic grease gun using an RV compressor as air source?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Hogan

RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Dutch Star 4311
RV Length
Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
Considering a Lincoln pneumatic grease gun for maintenance and reading specs, the gun need 40 psi min and 150 psi max. I was not able to find a CFM consumption rating with a quick perusal of the User manual. Currently the RV has a Viair hard wired in a front basement space. An upgrade to a pancake type compressor using 110v could help out may be. Yes a pneumatic grease gun is Overkill for the sporadic DIY project, but that has never stop me before :)
My goal is to make any maintenance easy and convenient (may be even fun) . That way there is a better chance of getting it done on time, :?

I wouldn't think the CFM for a grease gun would be all that much as air is basically being used to force grease through the gun. Not much volume there.

That said, I think the Viair is purely a compressor with no storage capacity, so it would be purely an air-in-air-out situation. The best I can suggest is to try it. If you re set on having a pneumatic grease gun, there's nothing to lose. Worst case is that you buy another compressor; something you are already prepared to do.

Why not try it with the on-board air? Lots of CFM there and if you only need 40 PSI to operate the gun, you should have plenty of pressure. Adding a length of air hose would ne cheaper than buying a compressor.

I’d try it with both the Viair and the onboard air. You can always add an inline regulator to reduce the psi if you need to. I have a pneumatic grease gun I got from Harbor Freight for $24. I only use it to grease my big riding mower, so the price was right. My hands are a lot happier with the pneumatic gun. I have a dedicated spiral air hose with an inline regulator to use for those tools that I need to control air pressure.

Pneumatic grease gun is definitely not frivolous, it is a great tool to have when lubing a motorhome chassis. I agree with Jim on not much volume needed, just not sure if the Vilar will get it done. Maybe a small air storage tank would be a cheap solution, hooked up inline from the Vilar to the grease gun would be a viable solution if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back