• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Ordered 2020 Rubicon Today - Tow Baseplate Setup

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
On my 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk, I had to have a mopar kit installed to prevent the so called “death wobble”. I think I read somewhere that issue was fixed in 2018 going forward and not sure if it pertains to all Jeep lines or just the Cherokee lines. Anyone know? The kit was not a cheap install. I’d like to get a newer Jeep and would like to not have to do the install again.

On my 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk, I had to have a mopar kit installed to prevent the so called “death wobble”. I think I read somewhere that issue was fixed in 2018 going forward and not sure if it pertains to all Jeep lines or just the Cherokee lines. Anyone know? The kit was not a cheap install. I’d like to get a newer Jeep and would like to not have to do the install again.

The Wrangler line doesn't have the wobble while towing as the Cherokee does. There is a problem with aftermarket tires, mods, etc that causes a wobble while driving. I also own a 2017 GRAND Cherokee that does have the wobble but so far reports are that happens in a left turn and under 10 miles per hour. There IS NOT a harness to fix the problem on the Grand Cherokee like the Cherokee.

Maximus-3 front tow hooks are another great option. They work with a Blue-Ox connection, which you can adapt any of the road master to.

I have the RoadMaster AllTerrain BlackHawk2 tow bar, and just swapped out the knuckles.

The Maximus solution is nice in the fact that the connection doubles as a recovery point or jack location. It does require cutting the bumper, but that was simple. I did it myself in about an hour.

I don’t know about the 2018 but I can say for the 2019 Cherokee, no mopar wiring harness is needed. Jeep TSB08-040-18 revision B.

You will need a wiring harness for the 2018+ to connect the RV to the Wrangler for brake lights, turn signals, and marker lights.

I went with cooltech's wiring harness, very simple.

As far as the Death Wobble (DW), this is something that has been addressed thru multiple recall campaigns. There are 4 revisions of the steering box, and 2 recalls on welds.

If you have a 2018, you will have to get multiple recall campaings completed.

2019 has 3 or 4 open campaigns.

2020's manufactured before July of 2019 has 1 or 2 campaigns. After Aug 1, the line implemented all known campaigns, and there have not been any new ones.

The welds are the single largest issue affecting 2018-2019. The gear box is the second. Looking at the gearbox revision is the best way to know if you need to have a recall done.

DO NOT accept a steering damper as the sole fix, this has already been proven to be a bandaid to mask the problem. The steering gear box is the only true fix. There is no need for a damper with the corrected gear box.

What is Death Wobble?

You will need a wiring harness for the 2018+ to connect the RV to the Wrangler for brake lights, turn signals, and marker lights.
This was true for me. I had to purchase a special wiring harness. Luckily they had it in stock where I had my towbar and AF1 installed.

Order Yesterday and my status is "D - firm schedule: serial number assigned, approx time in station - 5 days" and also got my VIN number. That was less than 24 hours.

I placed my order on 10/4/19. I was JB status on 10/16/2019. I remained in JB until 12/6/2019 when it finally went to KZ. Then it got "lost" again, and finally delivered to the dealer on 12/27/2019

What I learned is:

#1 - In october, the factory dual option tops where causing a delay. The Mopar accessory items where delayed. This accounts for 6 weeks of time.

Then the rail transfer taking 3 weeks is explained by the holidays.

The final frustration is when it delivered to the rail port @ Alliant (40 miles from my house, 30 from my dealer), it remained there for 8 days due to holiday and back log.

Water under the bridge now,but sure was frustrating when at first it appeared to be available by Thanksgiving.

For all those that have FL chassis, has anyone priced using discount offered thru FL Owners Club?

I used that discount as well, but it is not the best deal.

Dealer holdback on a rubicon is around 1750.00
Invoice is approx 1400 below retail.

There are other incentives and stacking that can be done, with the average deal being 6% below dealer invoice.

2019 DSDP 4369 * Active Air * NHSO

Latest resources

Back