• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Overheating shore power cable, surge protector

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I agree with GTS - they probably didn’t base the wire gauge on using a full 50amps all the time for hours on end and you may not be - it would be good to measure the actual load. You can calculate wire size different ways with different parameters, but for 6awg at 50amps 120v continuous load I came up with 84’ max one way distance. Maybe they used 240v in their calcs.

OK, the mfgr choose that gauge for the cord, but........... Have you ever reached down and unplugged your vacuum cleaner right after turning it off? Notice how the plug AND cord feels a bit warm? That's because manufacturers engineer things right to the safety margin. Can 6 gauge carry 50 amps?.....yes, but it's right at the margin. They save money over the manufacturing run that way, and the problems-in-the-making are yours to deal with and correct, if you're so inclined.
If that 6 gauge cord were only 100 feet, I'd feel better about it, but 150' is pushing things. That being said, I suspect the mfgr. calculated in (or out) a certain percentage on the assumption you would hardly ever be pulling 50 amps through the cord for 3 hours. (Nat'l Electrical code says anything over 3 hours is not "temporary".) To my brain, that's fudging things a bit, but I'm kinda opinionated.

Oh, and for the record, that 150 foot cord has to be considered 300', as the current has to travel out, and back, in order for it to do the work of operating your electrical system. That's where Rich W's voltage drop figures come in.

And Wemustrv is right to be cautious, but maybe a touch over-reactive. I think I would have ALL FOUR cord ends inspected at the very least. (Meaning the cord ends and receptacles, male and female.) That way, potential problems can be corrected or replaced right then, not when it starts showing heat damage the next time. (Tighten all the terminal screws, look for signs of heating, etc.)

Just me talking.....Roger
we agree. We are replacing as we speak. Will keep it in mind about the using that cord for long periods of time. Fortunately? We live in a neighborhood where we would prefer not to annoy the neighbors so we don't keep the motorhome out in the front where we have to load it for very long. We take it back to the storage when we're not loading.

I do not think I would run with that cord at all. That loose prong is a recipe for disaster. Not only is heat an issue that means there is a variation in power supplied and could effect the many items inside. You are literally playing an electrical fire. You may want to shed all the loads off that leg to reduce demand and heating effect.
we replaced it

OK, the mfgr choose that gauge for the cord, but........... Have you ever reached down and unplugged your vacuum cleaner right after turning it off? Notice how the plug AND cord feels a bit warm? That's because manufacturers engineer things right to the safety margin. Can 6 gauge carry 50 amps?.....yes, but it's right at the margin. They save money over the manufacturing run that way, and the problems-in-the-making are yours to deal with and correct, if you're so inclined.
If that 6 gauge cord were only 100 feet, I'd feel better about it, but 150' is pushing things. That being said, I suspect the mfgr. calculated in (or out) a certain percentage on the assumption you would hardly ever be pulling 50 amps through the cord for 3 hours. (Nat'l Electrical code says anything over 3 hours is not "temporary".) To my brain, that's fudging things a bit, but I'm kinda opinionated.

Oh, and for the record, that 150 foot cord has to be considered 300', as the current has to travel out, and back, in order for it to do the work of operating your electrical system. That's where Rich W's voltage drop figures come in.

And Wemustrv is right to be cautious, but maybe a touch over-reactive. I think I would have ALL FOUR cord ends inspected at the very least. (Meaning the cord ends and receptacles, male and female.) That way, potential problems can be corrected or replaced right then, not when it starts showing heat damage the next time. (Tighten all the terminal screws, look for signs of heating, etc.)

Yup, we did exactly that today

For those that actually know what they are talking about!!
The electrician talked about temperature for a reason. Generalization can get an electrician in trouble, the reason for my first sentence!

When you suggest replacing wire maybe you should look at prices. Below is a chart, if you can understand it! Please remember these wire size charts are for 86 degree temperature, not the over 100 recorded by the poster.

Just because the wire is sized right at 86 degrees, it is not a one size fits all. At temperatures in the hundreds your cable is undersized so you should plan to either calculate max power for the temperature, and use less power, or increase cable size...(not a popular option).

It may be interesting for sake of argument to check the prices and weight of the cable, before suggesting the latter.

My recommendation is reduce the power demand in high temperatures!

It may not work for the OP’s situation, but I installed this:
B4517D3C-0D08-4286-BF60-E0B66E47E434.jpeg

I have 47 years of experience with circuit breakers and electrical systems as well as sitting on NEC/ NFPA and UL code panels. This is not really overreactive. This is serious problem. See photos to see what bad connections and the heat caused by it can do. These are from my coach which due to a short to ground came close to burning my RV to the ground. The second photo it appears the cable is close to the turbo pipe it is just the angle. While this was not caused by a faulty plug it does show the heating effect.

Attachments

• IMG_0284.JPG
    IMG_0284.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0301.JPG
    IMG_0301.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
For those that actually know what they are talking about!!
The electrician talked about temperature for a reason. Generalization can get an electrician in trouble, the reason for my first sentence!

When you suggest replacing wire maybe you should look at prices. Below is a chart, if you can understand it! Please remember these wire size charts are for 86 degree temperature, not the over 100 recorded by the poster.

Just because the wire is sized right at 86 degrees, it is not a one size fits all. At temperatures in the hundreds your cable is undersized so you should plan to either calculate max power for the temperature, and use less power, or increase cable size...(not a popular option).

It may be interesting for sake of argument to check the prices and weight of the cable, before suggesting the latter.

My recommendation is reduce the power demand in high temperatures!

we decided to reduce power and covered the cable that was not in the shade with whatever we could find it lying around to shade it

Latest resources

Back