RV Make
Forest River
RV Model
Cherokee 39RL
RV Length
39'8"
Chassis
Destination Trailer
Help! I messed up big time and before everyone kicks my butt, yes, I know better but had a lapse in judgement so kick away. Had a nice day yesterday so decided to give my 2018 Cherokee 39 a bath. The detergent tank on my pressure washer didn't work so I dumped the cleaner into a bucket, diluted with water (probably not enough water) brushed it on and pressure washed it off. The front of the unit faces south and was much hotter than I thought. The detergent was still wet when I rinsed but I now have these ugly streaks in the paint. Today is cooler so I tried again, no better. Tried a Magic Eraser. No good. I'm even considering wiping with mineral spirits, trying in an inconspicuous place first. Thoughts?
20231013_120445_copy_1512x2016.jpg

20231013_120425_copy_2016x1512.jpg

Attachments

• 20231013_120425_copy_2016x1512.jpg
    20231013_120425_copy_2016x1512.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 1
Maybe alcohol, again trying in a small inconspicuous area first. A friend of mine occasionally distills and I keep a jar in the garage. Its a very good cleaning agent and readily mixes with water so is easily removable unlike mineral spirits and so far I haven’t seen it damage automotive paint.

Are the streaks exceptionally clean areas or is the adjacent area cleaner? I only ask because it really doesn't look like damage from the pictures. I'm also wondering if using the same detergent at the same concentration brushed on and kept moving around wet wouldn't at least homogenize the surface so no streaks were present?

Thanks for the suggestions so far folks. The alcohol might be worth trying. I tried a bit of mineral spirits and it took the streaks off, but took the shine off also. It appears the light coloured streaks are where the cleaner took off the oxidization off. I tried more of the same cleaner but same result, can't get a consistent clean. I had a similar situation with a boat I owned a few years back, the answer was to use a special de-oxidizing cleaner and then apply a coat of wax after. With the weather changing and the park closing up soon I may leave it and see if it changes over winter and tackle it again in the spring.

Latest resources

Back