• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Planning a Stay at Angel Fire RV Resort this summer

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Barely doable….I didn’t mind but the DW said she isn’t interested in doing it again.
Going North Gail was on the cliff side most of the way up, She was not a Happy Camper!! That was a learning experience:)
Just one of many

Note no shoulder and this is a wide part of this road. Lanes are 8-9 feet in most places:)
AZ 89A one of many.jpg

Joe! Have you toured any taos earthships? If it is still an option, you might find it interesting!!!

Taos is on our agenda, thanks for reminding me about the earthships!!

Joe - Angel Fire RV Resort is very nice. We typically take 385/87 from Amarillo to Clayton (take the truck route that bypasses the 87-412 intersection downtown). 412 to Springer, to I-25, then 58 to Cimarron, 64 thru Cimarron canyon to Eagles nest. Cimarron Canyon is narrow and curvy, but very scenic. Sharp turn and steep (but short) rise out of the canyon. Not sure I would want to come in on 64 from Toas in the RV. Be sure to visit the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge west of Taos on 64. It is on the way if you go to the earth ships. Taos pizza outback (north of the plaza) is a pretty eclectic place, but good pizza.

Looks like we will stop at Oasis RV Resort in Amarillo the night or two before Angel Fire. Thoughts on routes into Angel Fire from Amarillo? RT 386 out of Vegas, TX looks reasonable or maybe a Ranch to Market 1061 road if we feel adventurous:)

We have stayed many times at Oasis in Amarillo and have always enjoyed it. We've been to Angel Fire once when it first opened and loved it.

Out of Oasis I'd head west on I-40 to Vega and turn north on 385 to Dalhart then NW to Clayton NM. Out of Clayton head west on 412 to Springer then a quick jog north on I-25 to Russell's truck stop. Out of there go west on NM56 towards Cimarron. Once you get through Cimarron it gets twisty turny to Eagle Nest then an easy drive into Angel Fire.

Looks like we will stop at Oasis RV Resort in Amarillo the night or two before Angel Fire. Thoughts on routes into Angel Fire from Amarillo? RT 386 out of Vegas, TX looks reasonable or maybe a Ranch to Market 1061 road if we feel adventurous:)
Not sure if you meant "VEGA, TX", but no matter...I was curious to see what RVTW would suggest from Amarillo and can tell you THIS is the way we came out of Angel Fire when we drove east into Amarillo.

So, as mentioned, the road through Cimarron is a rural 2-lane through fields and past NRA HA...no sweat.

After you enter the canyon, it gets tighter and, as I mentioned, I had to watch my overhead more than the sides; it's more of a valley road than a cliffside if that helps.

Here's the route for your reference:
Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 9.12.06 AM.png

BTW, I just stayed at THE BIG TEXAN RV RANCH and was very surprised! Clean and fresh; and didn't mind the extra freeway noise...I'd gladly stay there again.

Joe, I just noticed you mentioned taking 1061 and I would not recommend it. It winds through the small canyons up to Boys Ranch. If you were driving a sports car it would be a lot of fun.

Over to Vega and up 385 would be my first choice but it's a little windy in a few places.
Over to 87 and up to Dumas then west on 87 would be the smoothest.

You might want to take a look at the Texoma RV Park in Dumas, it is a free city park we stay at on our way to and from Colorado. A downside is, if I remember it's electric only.

I took 1061 in my 39' CS a few years ago. Most of it is 3 lane and they are 12' lanes, but no shoulder. It was not a terrible drive.

Taos is on our agenda, thanks for reminding me about the earthships!!
Also, last year we had a delicious NM lunch at a very simple little restaurant in Taos, La Cueva Cafe. No wonder it gets good reviews. Judy D

Latest resources

Back