Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Planning a trip- Any experiences or threads about a Route and camping from Florida to California on I-10.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Thank you. Never drove in mountains so I guess it's the unknown that is troublesome.
As a conservative “safe” suggestion for you...not knowing your driving experience and skill...

Get some miles under your belt before tackling the I-70 from Denver to Grand Junction, CO. It’s full of traffic out of Denver, long steep grade both ways as you peak 10k’, tunnels, and lots of curves on the west end. Yes, and trucks...lots of them. The makes the worst direction going westbound since you’ll be hitting this section going downhill.

I love it, doesn’t raise my pulse off a dead sleep. But...my wife? You’ll need a strong marriage for this section. We’re still in counseling two years later, despite driving mountains all year long for 40 years! ?

Last edited:
As a conservative “safe” suggestion for you...not knowing your driving experience and skill...

Get some miles under your belt before tackling the I-70 from Denver to Grand Junction, CO. It’s full of traffic out of Denver, long steep grade both ways as you peak 10k’, tunnels, and lots of curves on the west end. Yes, and trucks...lots of them. The makes the worst direction is going westbound since you’ll be hitting this section going downhill.

I love it, doesn’t raise my pulse off a dead sleep. But...my wife? You’ll need a strong marriage for this section. We’re still in counseling two years later, despite driving mountains all year long for 40 years! ?
Yah the steepest longest most challenging grade in the country. Watch the grade pull tests on you tube for a preview as what @CaptainGizmo is referring to is a hill used to compare tow capacity's by those in the business.

Latest resources

Back