Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

King Hugh

RVF Newbee
My wife and I have a 26' TT that we have owned for a few years. We've camped quite a bit but always within 2 hours of home. I want to do a real trip though. I want to hook up the truck and head out. I'm thinking south Dakota to see Mt. Rushmore. We live in upstate NY and would need to be out and back in about 12 days. Sadly I'm not yet retired so I need to get back to the j.o.b.

I plan to stay in a regular campground while there but figure it will take us about 4 days to get there. I don't plan to be in any hurry.

So during that 4 days each way is where I need advice.

Are there places we can park for the night without going to a "campground" ... Highway rest areas? Truck stops? Is there a resource that lists these so I can map out a route?

Any other thoughts or things I should consider? I'm all ears.

Thank you!

"Free" overnight camping spots can be found, but they are not always conveniently located along the route. Not knowing where in New York you will be starting, or the route you plan to take, I'm guessing that your trip will take at least 28-30 hours of driving plus rest stop time. So, you will need to look for stopping points 400-500 miles apart.

We do not favor overnight stops in highway rest areas for a variety of reasons; personal safety being one. Walmart parking lots are not a lot better and many have now been closed. We have found that Bass Pro/Cabelas stores usually have some available overnight RV spots, but you won't know about actual availability until you arrive; they don't take reservations. And, if there is no vacancy, they usually frown on parking elsewhere on the store property.

There are some on-line apps that can help you locate stopping points. One is All-Stays:

It will help locate everything from campgrounds to rest stops and potential store parking lots. I'm sure there are other, similar apps as well.

Good luck.

TJ

Check out Harvest Hosts and Boondockers Welcome.

My wife and I have a 26' TT that we have owned for a few years. We've camped quite a bit but always within 2 hours of home. I want to do a real trip though. I want to hook up the truck and head out. I'm thinking south Dakota to see Mt. Rushmore. We live in upstate NY and would need to be out and back in about 12 days. Sadly I'm not yet retired so I need to get back to the j.o.b.

I plan to stay in a regular campground while there but figure it will take us about 4 days to get there. I don't plan to be in any hurry.

So during that 4 days each way is where I need advice.

Are there places we can park for the night without going to a "campground" ... Highway rest areas? Truck stops? Is there a resource that lists these so I can map out a route?

Any other thoughts or things I should consider? I'm all ears.

Thank you!
Our Cracker Barrel here in NE FL. allows overnight stays they have designated spaces for that. Not sure about other Cracker Barrels.

If I get tired, I pull into a rest area and park with the truck drivers that are also sleeping. We've never had an issue. A lot of them have dogs and we've met quite a few while we were letting our dogs "stretch their legs". Truckers also watch out for each other so if anyone came looking for trouble I'm sure they would find PLENTY of it. Most truck drivers are armed just like I am.

BTW............I've had a lot more "undesirables" approach me at a Wal-Mart parking lot than at a rest area. Wal-Marts are out for me unless it's my only option.

Freecampsites.net

senic roads can be found on motorcycleroads.com
as well as the "field trip app" for points of interest along the way.

Latest resources

Back