RVF Regular
RV Year
RV Make
Apex Nano
RV Model
208BH
RV Length
25’
My wife and I were at the dealership today looking at 5th wheels. We were told by the sales person that the cougar half-ton 5th wheels could be towed with my f150. And since I trust you guys way more than I trust the sales person I was wondering if I could get your guys opinion. I have a 2022 F150 3.5 eco boost with the tow package. Here are my truck specs.
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. 6600 lbs
Gross Combined Weight Rating. 12900 lbs
Max Payload. 1671 lbs
I do have helper bags in which add 5000 lbs. but someone told me they dont matter
It’s a 5.5 short bed and Im putting in a slide hitch.

The trailer specs are Keystone Cougar 29rli
Trailer length 32’
weight. 8900 dry
tongue weight 1630
Please let me know your opinion before a drop a ton of money just to find out I need a new truck. Thank you in advance!!!! I know you guys will set me straight

Your intuition has you on the right track!!!
My guess is pin weight is a little over 1000 dry.
Not going to look up the trailer, but guess a hight is of 11 ft. That kind of frontal area will kill any claims made on that v6.

Your intuition has you on the right track!!!
My guess is pin weight is a little over 1000 dry.
Not going to look up the trailer, but guess a hight is of 11 ft. That kind of frontal area will kill any claims made on that v6.
Yeah its 12’ on the height

That 8900lb trailer is probably more like 11k. loaded. I think you mean max towing is 12,900 - not GCWR. But still the bed is too short even if the sliding hitch is supposed to make it possible. You want the pin weight over the rear axle and I’d be very surprised if the front of trailer didn’t interfere with the cab. And then there is the low weight and short wheel base of the truck almost guaranteeing poor handling. I guess its technically possible that you could pull it but it would probably be a miserable experience.

Your truck with fuel, people and cargo and the new hitch could not exceed 4000lb or you would be over your GCWR with an 8900lb "dry" trailer if that number is even accurate.

My wife and I were at the dealership today looking at 5th wheels. We were told by the sales person that the cougar half-ton 5th wheels could be towed with my f150. And since I trust you guys way more than I trust the sales person I was wondering if I could get your guys opinion. I have a 2022 F150 3.5 eco boost with the tow package. Here are my truck specs.
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. 6600 lbs
Gross Combined Weight Rating. 12900 lbs
Max Payload. 1671 lbs
I do have helper bags in which add 5000 lbs. but someone told me they dont matter
It’s a 5.5 short bed and Im putting in a slide hitch.

The trailer specs are Keystone Cougar 29rli
Trailer length 32’
weight. 8900 dry
tongue weight 1630
Please let me know your opinion before a drop a ton of money just to find out I need a new truck. Thank you in advance!!!! I know you guys will set me straight
No go. The dry tongue weight eats up all your payload before you've put anyone or anything in the truck or trailer. (That's also assuming that "max payload" number actually applies to your specific truck.)

No.
Height is closer to 13 ft at 12'8"
Length is closer to 33 at 32'9"
It is the biggest one they make in the "half ton" line.
Maybe it could be done with a base model 1/2 ton with a regular cab and an 8 ft. bed and a stout V-8 engine.

Thank you all! You just cleared up what I already knew. Its just nice to get clarity. When your sitting there at the dealership and everyone is telling you itll work you start to doubt yourself. Thank you so much you guys are awesome!!!!!!

You need a bigger truck. Or smaller camper.
We all need to remember, the job of a sales person is to sell.

Yeah, ill stick to my TT for now. All the numbers for my truck seem to be better for those anyways. I just always thought 5th wheels were better on the truck for long distances. Guess there is no general rule. 🤷‍♂️

Latest resources

Back