• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Good Afternoon All,

I am in desperate need of help. I think I may have been suckered into buying an RV that does not exist.
The dealership I am buying from is Mc George RV in Virginia. Here is the background: looking to purchase a Winnebago 59GL, called a week in advance to schedule a showing for that exact model. When I came for my appointment I was told that the vehicle has been purchased even though the previous night I received a text saying the vehicle still there and that I could still see it. When asked to speak to the manager he assured me that I can view the vehicle and that he has another one in stock at a different location. I asked to test drive a similar chassis to see if I could handle it.
Up to this point this has not been a smooth process just finding the vehicle then it God smoother and I thought that everything was good. The manager was able to help us out he was able to give me a very fair price for the vehicle and assured me that once I sign the paperwork the vehicle will be shipped to me within three days. Now this is where it gets frustrating! I signed paperwork saying that I was willing to pay X amount of money, And I was willing to put X amount of money down as a down payment. with that signed I was assured that I was going to receive the lowest interest rate based on my credit score. A day later when I did not received a call from the dealership to talk about the shipment and pick up date I called them. To which I did not receive an answer and I received a call back later that evening saying that my credit score was not good enough for the promised APR rate and that I would need to find a cosigner.The finance guy said that he is trying to work a deal with the bank that he knows and that I should hold still. Looking into the details that I signed I saw that the vehicle had one over 1000 miles on it. Does this mean that the vehicle is actually used?! Also it has been a week later and I still have not heard about what to do and now I am worried that I cannot get another deal from another dealership even though I think my credit score is good enough and my down payment was substantial. If anyone has any recommendations or steps that I could take I would really appreciate it. Multiple people have told me that they’re selling me a lemon and that I am over my head the sales manager keeps assuring me that the finance guy still working on a deal but honestly I feel as though they’re just stringing me along.

Hello @ulyana.v.pivovarova.91 and welcome to RVForums.com. I'm sorry to hear of your situation, it is a bit hard to follow but all I can say is to avoid McGeorge's Camping World in Ashland, VA. I bought from them ignorantly as they are my nearby dealer. While I had a good experience with my salesman after the sale has been a disaster and I avoid that place. There are plenty other places to buy RV's in the United States and I would travel wherever needed to make the right purchase, after all that will help you use the RV and enjoy it right away. So again, I suggest just get out of your situation with McGeorge and find somewhere else to help you even if over the phone or by email. Let us know how things work out. Hang in there!

At this point, you’ve not taken delivery of a unit so they cannot keep your down payment as security for a good that has not been delivered.

as for credit, remember that having a good credit score is important, but there are other factors besides your score that influence a lender’s willingness to extend credit, namely debt to income ratio. Too high and you can have the best credit score possible but no one will extend credit. I tend to think that if they could have closed the deal, they would have, that’s how they get paid in the end.

I agree with @Neal. While I personally have not had a bad experience with McGeorge’s and have been there once, I’ve certainly heard stories. Go get your money back and then give another dealer a call. NIRVC was great to work with for me.

@MapNerd any recommendations on who to work with at NIRVC since you did a custom order with a FPU if I am not mistaken.

Good Afternoon All,

I am in desperate need of help. I think I may have been suckered into buying an RV that does not exist.
The dealership I am buying from is Mc George RV in Virginia. Here is the background: looking to purchase a Winnebago 59GL, called a week in advance to schedule a showing for that exact model. When I came for my appointment I was told that the vehicle has been purchased even though the previous night I received a text saying the vehicle still there and that I could still see it. When asked to speak to the manager he assured me that I can view the vehicle and that he has another one in stock at a different location. I asked to test drive a similar chassis to see if I could handle it.
Up to this point this has not been a smooth process just finding the vehicle then it God smoother and I thought that everything was good. The manager was able to help us out he was able to give me a very fair price for the vehicle and assured me that once I sign the paperwork the vehicle will be shipped to me within three days. Now this is where it gets frustrating! I signed paperwork saying that I was willing to pay X amount of money, And I was willing to put X amount of money down as a down payment. with that signed I was assured that I was going to receive the lowest interest rate based on my credit score. A day later when I did not received a call from the dealership to talk about the shipment and pick up date I called them. To which I did not receive an answer and I received a call back later that evening saying that my credit score was not good enough for the promised APR rate and that I would need to find a cosigner.The finance guy said that he is trying to work a deal with the bank that he knows and that I should hold still. Looking into the details that I signed I saw that the vehicle had one over 1000 miles on it. Does this mean that the vehicle is actually used?! Also it has been a week later and I still have not heard about what to do and now I am worried that I cannot get another deal from another dealership even though I think my credit score is good enough and my down payment was substantial. If anyone has any recommendations or steps that I could take I would really appreciate it. Multiple people have told me that they’re selling me a lemon and that I am over my head the sales manager keeps assuring me that the finance guy still working on a deal but honestly I feel as though they’re just stringing me along.
Welcome to RVF. Sorry you are having issues with the dealer. I think it is time to start over; walk away from this deal and demand the return of your down payment. Don't let them talk you into a "second chance" as it sounds like it will be the same story. Time to start afresh somewhere else.

@MapNerd offered some good information about credit and credit-worthiness. Be sure you know what your credit score and financial situation is before entering into another deal. That way, you will be prepared to negotiate price and credit terms effectively.

Good luck.

TJ

I saw that the vehicle had one over 1000 miles on it. Does this mean that the vehicle is actually used?!
No, it's probably not used. Motor homes are usually driving to the dealer's locatoin so they're going to have some mileage on them. Now if it had been previously licensed to someone else, then yes, it's used. But don't sweat the mileage, it's not an issue.

As for the deal, I'd gather up my marbles and go somewhere else. Or at least stop this transaction and tell them to call you later if they have something that they feel will fit your needs. But this deal is dead. For me, it would have been dead the minute I walked in and they told me that the RV had already been sold and nobody called to let you know.

If there is one thing that I know, there are dozens of motor homes out there that are at least as good a deal as this one and probably even better.

Good luck! Oh, and Welcome to RVforums.com!

@MapNerd any recommendations on who to work with at NIRVC since you did a custom order with a FPU if I am not mistaken.
I worked with Tony Morse in Atlanta. If I were purchasing from NIRVC in Texas, Angie would be my go to. Can’t speak for the other locations but I’d be surprised to find and experience were any different. NIRVC just does an all around good job from everything I can tell and have experienced.

After getting quotes from them and all the other recommended Newmar Dealers, not only did Tony lower his price to match, but he beat the lowest initial offer which wasn’t his. He wasn’t thrilled about it but he made the sale, lol

Good Evening All,
Thank you so much for the feedback. I don’t know if it’s me reaching out to the universe- but I finally received a call saying that Monday the financial approval will be in. The McGeorge Finance guy assured me that I would get the finance approved. I guess I will wait until Monday and if not as you all have said I will walk away. As most of you know there are only two RV dealerships with The Winnebago 59GL options - McGeorge and General RV. Although I have personally never had the experience with General RV I do like they prices; they seem to be a few grant lower to start with. Anyways it’s always hard to say good bye and this is the RV that I fell in love with. Fingers crossed that it might work out in the end. Thanks again !

I bought my first coach from General RV, but outside of Chicago...good experience.

Latest resources

Back