Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

themadpoet

RVF Newbee
I have to replace my power converter. I have something very similar to this: Except I have the 9160a model.

I'm not on a budget right now and I'm trying to find a less expensive option, but I've been told I need to replace it with exactly the same one. The PD one I'm replacing has two +/- connections, but all the replacements I see only have 1, and I'm confused why?

Is anyone willing to give me some advice and direction here?
Here are some photos of my old converter.
IMG_20230118_115941317.jpg
IMG_20230118_115921311.jpg

A converter is a convert. Maybe they were telling you it needed to be at least 60 Amp.

What would you do if the company was out of business? Dump the rig?

A converter is a convert. Maybe they were telling you it needed to be at least 60 Amp.

No, they were specific. Find the exact same kind. They said that the other converters don't have the two outputs like this one does, but I'm honestly confused as to why there is two on this one while there is only one on the other models I keep finding. I'm sure those go to the battery, so I can't figure out why I need the two of them.

What would you do if the company was out of business? Dump the rig?

It's not that I don't appreciate your reply, but I'm politely asking because of my lack of knowledge about these topics. Thank you.

No, they were specific. Find the exact same kind. They said that the other converters don't have the two outputs like this one does, but I'm honestly confused as to why there is two on this one while there is only one on the other models I keep finding. I'm sure those go to the battery, so I can't figure out why I need the two of them.

It's not that I don't appreciate your reply, but I'm politely asking because of my lack of knowledge about these topics. Thank you.
Sorry! The question I asked was a serious one, not meant to be cynical. . Look over this to understand what the terminals are

Careful on that sarcasm Kevin....lol. By the way, I am a Kevin also...must be in the name.
OP, there are 2 because they are + and -......I have installed a couple in the last 3 weeks. All I have seen were the same. They are just rated by watts, 55, 60, 65....whatever. Don't worry about the brand. I was intrigued by the fuses on yours, I have not seen 3 fuses. These fuses are to protect from reverse polarity, nothing to do with anything else.

Talk to Randy at BestConverter - Converters, Inverters, Electrical Supplies, Electronics. He’ll solve your mysteries and steer you in the right direction. FWIW the story you were told is nonsense. There is nothing special about the OE converter and it is definitely obsolete.

Best Converter:
“For free technical advice, orders or general questions call us at 888-828-1893. I'll pay for the call and we will do our best to answer your questions. You can also email us at [email protected] for a prompt response.
If your question is about an existing power converter, please have the make and model number so we can better assist in solving the problem or recommend the correct replacement unit.”

They also have good prices on a variety of associated stuff. Very dependable and great customer service. I learned a lot talking to Randy and ended up also installing a battery monitor system. He’ll probably end up recommending one of these: BD 1260CL-Boondocker BD1260CL (60 Amp 4-Stage Converter/Cha

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back