Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Thor Compass

RVF Regular
Question: What if you purchase a 2000W 2131Wh Lithium Ion Power Station. Then used an Extension Cord that has male plugs on both ends to plug it into your RV Wall Outlet. Of course you would not be hooked up to shore power or have your generator running. Of course, you would need to remember to unplug it when you do use shore power or your generator. However, would this safely power all your RV AC wall outlets and appliances? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Respectfully, Extension cords with male plugs on both ends are considered “widow makers”.

I agree with FloridaSon....There are better ways to do this... Like plugging it into the shore power plug via a dog bone adapter. Maybe you could store it in the basement?

Why would you want to use a male to male cord?

Meaning, the this would cause a short circuit, or the cord itself would start a fire? Just narrowing down on how to correct this setup by using a heftier cord or not do this at all. Thank you.

My vote is for "Not at all".... It is so non-standard and pretty dangerous... Having a live male plug just seems like asking for trouble...

This goes by another name - "back feeding". Definitely NOT recommended. Its the wire in the wall that you can't upgrade to a heavier gauge that would be most worrisome here.

Rick

The RV already has two 12-volt wet cell batteries, however, they only power the lights, and water pump, nothing else. I'm trying to avoid doing a more complicated inverter and switch setup. Shore power will power everything and charge the wet cell batteries. Trying to avoid charging the house batteries with the power station. Thank you.

Plug the power station into the shore power plug and turn off the battery charger...

Plug the power station into the shore power plug and turn off the battery charger...
That sounds better. Do you have an idea of the wiring to install a switch to disconnect the power going to the RV charger? I would also need to put the powers station that is protected from the environment, and the thick shore power cable and the AC-Outlet adapter that plugs into the power station. Thank you.

Not knowing what kind of RV you have and how its laid out, it is hard for me to say how to do it. Nor am I really sure that turning off your charger (converter) is a good idea either as it helps your rv 12v system work.

But if you plug in your power station and your batteries are charged, the charger should not take much power from your powerstation.

As far as protection, not sure how big your powerstation is. Maybe you can use a compartment? Or cover it with a tarp or tent?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back