Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

President Biden takes the F150 Lightning for a spin.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
each stop is about 20-30 minutes give or take and Tesla plans your stops accordingly.

Here is a trip I took recently and it required 3 stops so it added an hour to the trip. The pro is it forces you to get out of the car and stretch your legs. The con is you want to get there and having to stop more than we are used to as fuel consumers can wear on you. For instance, the third stop was at a parking garage for a mall. Finding it and getting up to the top level where the chargers were located was a PITA and then there was a line waiting for chargers. Ugh no. I was there probably 50 minutes. I have to say the self driving is a real benefit in terms of reducing driver fatigue. I definitely felt the difference.

1621535666856.png

Using a fast charge station, and trying to do 600 miles a day, how much time is spent recharging?

Hmm. We occasionally have to do a 950 ish kilometre route in our Tesla. It’s actually a return trip so about 474 in each direction. We stop at a Supercharger for a bio break at about the halfway point for about 10 or 15 minutes plus another twenty at our destination for a meal and some business and then head home. The halfway point Superchargers are V2’s and the turnaround Supercharger is a V3. I suppose one could cut that down somewhat but my bladder says otherwise. :). Generally it’s a charge while your stopped thing and not stop to charge thing. We have good infrastructure along the routes we travel.

Wow...thats very impressive. Much better than what non-tesla can do.

Wow...thats very impressive. Much better than what non-tesla can do.

Yah. The supercharger network is a big asset for Tesla drivers. You wouldn’t have to add a day for your trip. Maybe 1/2 an hour each day depending how often you pee... :).

Theres an app for hotels with charging. Most business hotels have L2 overnight charging for free.

If you watch closely, there are 2 steering wheels in this truck. Other guy is steering it, it looks like.

I didn’t see a second steering wheel but what looked like a horizontal grab bar in front of the passenger.

I don’t know if anyone else saw the post reveal specs but it was a bit of a let down for me.

• 230-300 miles of range
  • 6,100lb curb weight
  • No substantive style changes to improve aerodynamics and thus increase efficiency/range
  • 10k# tow capacity but no mention of range when towing, meaning it probably ain’t good!

But the real kicker to me is how Ford envisions the truck being used:
76F6B40B-E868-434B-A489-3B2D64AA8429.jpeg

I’m sorry how often does Ford expect me to check the range of this thing? Basically every time I even consider using it because the range is going to be that bad when using it for even the lightest truck work styles? The graphic is telling is all I am saying.

to top it all off, she starts at $40k for a stripped commercial version. The XLT will cost you $53k! Yowza! That’s not far at all from Lariat territory on an ICE.

to me, it is a feat of engineering of the same level as a machine that can perfectly glaze a corn dog in 24k gold in 12 seconds. Technically impressive, but utterly useless (for the work styles expected of a truck)

And I am a Ford man! :cry:

Last edited:
All EV’s have Apps like that. I think they are just trying to show the facility of the truck. I’m also disappointed in the range but I suspect they will ease people into better aerodynamics and better range. In the meantime the Cybertruck is projected to have a 500 mile range.

Like I said before, the big disappointment is that 150 KW max charge rate. Ugh. What are they thinking?

Still, I’m sure it will work well for many customers.

All EV’s have Apps like that. I think they are just trying to show the facility of the truck. I’m also disappointed in the range but I suspect they will ease people into better aerodynamics and better range. In the meantime the Cybertruck is projected to have a 500 mile range.

Like I said before, the big disappointment is that 150 KW max charge rate. Ugh. What are they thinking?

Still, I’m sure it will work well for many customers.
Yeah, it’s gonna take forever to charge that thing. You may be right about the styling but I think they could have been a bit more aggressive.

Unfortunately I’m no fan of Tesla, though I do like Musk’s SpaceX ventures.

Latest resources

Back