Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

RK 2198

RVF Regular
NHTSA 11363266: 2016 Primetime Crusader slide bracket cutting groove in tire.

The right side rear tire rubs on the slide out flooring and the slide out cross member (including mounting bolts/nuts) and slide out end bracket.

The unit was manufactured with insufficient clearance to prevent tire rubbing. The tire rubbing has caused damage to tires and is destined to instigate catastrophic tire failure while going down the highway.

The clearances are insufficient to prevent contact when he suspension is compressed from normal highway bumps.

I have pictures attached that clearly show three contact points where the tire has rubbed the finish 1- off of the steel members, 2-physically wearing away the nuts and bolts, and 3-is wearing a hole in the slide out flooring in multiple wheel locations.

The end bracket cut a groove in a tire and was luckily noticed prior to catastrophic failure on the highway. It was deemed not repairable by discount tire and thusly replaced.

After installing the OEM spare tire I applied some touch up paint to the rubbing locations we completed one short trip. The paint was once again rubbed off as it makes contact with the tire. This design needs to be recognized as a safety issue and rectified by the manufacturer. I suspect it has caused numerous catastrophic tire failures and initially blamed on the tire manufacturers. OEM tires are towmax power king. I replaced with Goodyear endurance.

Primetime had an identical issue in a 2014 315 model with identical wear points. An NHTSA recall was ordered with a lift kit to be installed that remedied the clearance issues. 2014 prime time 315 NHTSA 14v-140. A recall was ordered and a lift kit installed.

I have contacted the manufacturer in good faith. They say it is outside of the manufacturers 12 month warranty period.

I do not believe a safety issue is excluded from the manufacturers responsibility.

I recommend you check your Primetime crusader for identical rubbing issues. Please reply or contact me with a private message.

Attachments

• PXL_20200928_152221068.jpg
    PXL_20200928_152221068.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20200928_152216882.jpg
    PXL_20200928_152216882.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20200731_092205.jpg
    IMG_20200731_092205.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20200928_152154368.jpg
    PXL_20200928_152154368.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 21
Only three things that come to mind on this.
1). The tires installed are too tall. Maybe someone replaced them with a larger diameter tire. There should be a sticker somewhere that show what tires size it should have.
2.) The trailer springs are "relaxed". The springs have become weak.
3.) the trailer/tow vehicle are not level when towing.

Thanks for the thoughts.

1) OEM tire is rubbing as well. I put the OEM spare in the rear position and it is rubbing the new spray paint off. I don't want to cut a brand new Goodyear Endurance. Goodyear Endurance was the identical size, at least by tire identification numbers. I may rotate out the spare, put an older Goodyear in the back and the new on on the front position?

2) how would I check for the relaxed spring issue?

3) the trailer is as level as possible. I have about 5" clearance on the fifth wheel to my trucks side panels of the bed. There is a slight amount of slightly lower int he back. But the tires are rubbing on the front and rear tire o nthe slide out floor board. The rear tire has the cutting issues as the slide cross bar and end bracket are making the most significant amount of contact. The end bracket and cross bar bolts and nuts is what is cutting the tires. Taller tires would help a bit, but I obviously do not have the room.

I am thinking a 1" lift kit will do the job as that is what Primetime was forced to provide and install on the Crusader 315 model by the NHTSA. My issue is identical to the 315 model.

The BBB will not act on the issue as the unit is out of the manufacturer's warranty period. UGH! Have not heard back yet from the NHTSA. Complaint # Complaint #14839549

When was the last time you ran the trailer over the scale?

When was the last time you ran the trailer over the scale?
It was weighed last June. I was under to the max GVWR, not over. Tanks empty. I almost never have water on board as I fill up at destination or have hook ups. Just like everybody, things keep getting added to the trailer so I'm probably bit heavier today. Full tanks and I would be over for sure.

I did not think of getting the individual axle weights measured. I put both axles on the scale for the trailer.
The trailer does sit up high a touch in the front. That would probably shift weight to the back axle a bit as well?

I found the $500 Lippert lift kit on line. It provides an additional 2" of clearance and would fix or more than fix my front high issue. It's a bolt in kit, no welding. I have an appointment to get it looked at next week at a shop that does trailer lifts, axle flips, custom welding, etc.

I cannot lower the front on the hitch as I currently have about 5" of clearance to the side rails.

Thanks for mentioning the weight. The more I think about the slight up tilt the more the lift makes sense.

An alternative and cheaper fix might be heavier springs, but that won't provide clearance, just less compression and a harsher ride.

Prime Time refused to help out. I asked for a lift kit from the other model NHTSA safety recall with identical issues and photos and said I would have it installed at my cost. Denied. Hiding behind the 1 year warranty.

I can't imagine Prime Time is allowing these units with this safety issue on the road. Have heard from others on private messages that they had similar issues.

Can you find a way to either remove some weight or, at least, shift some of the weight from the rear of the trailer to the front? I hate to say it, but if you are that close to the max GVWR, you are overloaded. A good rule of thumb is to stay at or below 80% of GVWR.

A lift kit will probably solve the clearance issue, but will do nothing to increase the GVWR or resolve the overloading. Unfortunately, it is all-too-easy to overload a trailer. Manufacturers just don't provide enough weight allowance for things that will fit in the storage spaces.

Hope you get this resolved so you can travel safely. With the issues you are experiencing, I would not feel comfortable taking the trailer on the road.

TJ

I've since discussed with a few folks. They suggested the trailer should have 3" minimum or 4" better of clearance. From my pictures you can see I am about 2", maybe less. Both said this is becoming a routine issue with some brands. They are seeing increase design problem issues. Both have recommend a lift is needed.

When the spring compression is at or more than the clearance this is the outcome.

Lippert recommended their lift and extension kit as propper. Local trailer fabricator is going to inspect my trailer next week. I suspect a 2" beam welded in will be the best but probably more expensive solution.

It's amazing how you get educated with problems and then use it in your next purchase. I for one will be sure to look underneath in the future for the 4" clearance. But at this point, Prime Time looks to have poorly designed multiple units and does not stand up to their issues.

Unfortunately safety is not a concern for many companies. This is the reason for lawsuits and government intervention. By proper design a bumper should be installed over the axle. The idea is when the rig goes through a bump in the road the axle bottoms out before something else like tires can be shredded. Lift kits help this but a bumper should be part of the project. No matter how a rig is loaded the tire should be the last thing that should come into contact while going down the road.

Just my $.04

Makes total sense to put in some sort of stop.

I've received several comments from others with the identical issue in the same model as mine, even newer. Primetime Crusaders have a problem.

Several have suggested the Morryde kits that add some lift and provide a smoother ride. An additional lift kit from Lippert or the Correct Track kit will help too.

What totally amazes me is Primetime had the issue but only addressed it when the NHTSA made them do it. The recall NHTSA #14V-140 details a space lift block, a cross factor installation beam, cutting the slide bracket and replacing the slide adjustment bolt.

Unfortunately they have the same problem in newer units and now don't fix their design issue or offer the kit to those of us with the problem.

An update and a request for others to add information. I filled out several posts on additional forums and found others with the identical issue.

Primetime has stated my trailer is outside of the 12 month warranty and will not provide any assistance. But, Primetime was forced by the NHTSA to do a safety recall to remedy identical issues in 2014.

I filled out the NHTSA complaint on the Primetime trailers having issues with the slide brackets and steel square tube cutting and destroying tires. I also pointed out Primetime already has an accepted and closed NHTSA recall that covers only one unit and paid for a kit and installation.

Please go to the NHTSA web site to see the actual complaint.

If you have experienced this issue, or have looked underneath the slides of your Prime Time Trailer and see the rubbing marks, please start another complaint. Its easy and free. Go to the web site File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

Please reference my complaint number 11363266 so that the issue gets noticed and linked as a repetitive issue. The earlier issue had 3 complaints and the recall was ordered.

If we can demonstrate a continued issue then the NHTSA may force a recall, possibly get your trailer fixed or possibly get you a reimbursement if you had already done repairs to remedy the flawed design.

Thanks

Latest resources

Back