• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Problem with my fridge

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Look on your control panel, there may be a "auto select" setting. All of my gas electric refrigerators have worked on gas when plugged in to shore power.

This is what ours looks like, Dometic. What type fridge do you have.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
It should work when plugged into 115 and propane is selected unless auto is left on. It should try to light 3 times and then lock the board out, requiring it to be reset. It will always default to electric when it is available. You should not have to unplug it. Good that it fired so you know it worked, now to find the problem with the 12v side that is not telling the board to use propane. The system uses 12vdc to work the controls, 115 ac only heats the elements.

Well it was definitely a novice issue! I tried all of your excellent advice to no avail, and then had a random thought. I'd been trying to run the fridge on propane but never unhooked the power, both at the house (110) AND at campsite (30A) but what I failed to do is unplug the dang thing and try it that way! Anyway, it works just fine when unplugged lol, I appreciate all of your advice
I was just about to reply as I have friends whose fridges work just like you mentioned. You figured it out just as I was ready to hit send.

I was just about to reply as I have friends whose fridges work just like you mentioned. You figured it out just as I was ready to hit send.
Well thank you anyway!! I'm truly impressed by all of yall's knowledge and willingness to help!

It should work when plugged into 115 and propane is selected unless auto is left on. It should try to light 3 times and then lock the board out, requiring it to be reset. It will always default to electric when it is available. You should not have to unplug it. Good that it fired so you know it worked, now to find the problem with the 12v side that is not telling the board to use propane. The system uses 12vdc to work the controls, 115 ac only heats the elements.
HMMMM...... Where to start I wonder.

Look on your control panel, there may be a "auto select" setting. All of my gas electric refrigerators have worked on gas when plugged in to shore power.
There is an Auto mode, maybe I'm just not switching it correctly. I will look at it closer tonight.

I miss spoke before it should work if gas is selected. I used that when plugged into a 30 amp or less to reduce the electrical load.
Bill

Most likely it is in the setting at what they call the eye brow or board. It is possible something is not right down on the board in the back, but most likely it is in the control board or eye brow at the front of the fridge.

Where are you located, do you have a multimeter, and does it have the clamp on amp function?

Latest resources

Back