Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Purchase extended warranty on used Winnebago?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
We are purchasing from a private seller a 2019 Vista 31BE with 4812 miles. It still has 45 days of the original 1 year warranty. The Seller has offered to sell the Ext Warranty they bought with the rig. He wants $5900.00. It is a 60 month, 60k miles Wrap Around warranty thru Camping World. The inspector gave the unit a clean bill of health. And I am comfortable at the DIY stuff. I have purchased the Ext Warranties on our cars, mainly due to the electronics. We would appreciate your advice about buying an extended warranty on an RV?
So that is like, 39 hours of labor at 150 an hour. The rig is over a year old. Miles??? Drive train warranty, likely factory manufacturer warranty.:unsure: CW reputation?:mad:

We sell service contracts at my company. We have a couple options with very solid companies. All companies want to give permission BEFORE the repair is done. Dealers make the call to discuss and get an approval. None of the companies like a surprise after something is done.
With motorhome there are options for "coach only" and those cost much less than coverage for the drivetrain. With that said, those tend to be the high priced repairs.
Let me know if we can help with anything.
Ken
The problem is: we had a warranty that wanted us to get permissin. So we had an emergency- I found a repairman, then I drove 30 minutes feom our camp to find a cell signal so I could call the warranty compan to ‘get permission”. Storm was bearing down on us - they gave the go-ahead.
Repairman was good, and reasonabel too. got ‘er done just before storm blew in.
Next day, the warranty company refused to pay a dime. Fortunately the bill was only a few hundred, but it PISSED me . I had no way to hold them to their word.
What do you do when you ‘get permission?” I suppose you need a confirmation number?
(I’m not correcting errors, just got up, need coffee)

We sell service contracts at my company. We have a couple options with very solid companies. All companies want to give permission BEFORE the repair is done. Dealers make the call to discuss and get an approval. None of the companies like a surprise after something is done.
With motorhome there are options for "coach only" and those cost much less than coverage for the drivetrain. With that said, those tend to be the high priced repairs.
Let me know if we can help with anything.
Ken
Ken, just curious. Since I see you respond to most of the EW posts with offers for service contracts, what makes your company any different from the others?

Ken, just curious. Since I see you respond to most of the EW posts with offers for service contracts, what makes your company any different from the others?
Thank you for the question. Full disclosure, my company does sell service contracts. We have our choice of companies to represent and work with. We judge companies by how they pay legitimate claims. We also like to support our customers if they have a claim problem. The contracts we offer are national companies, not tied to a specific dealer group. That way, coverage is available all over the country. Another thing that sets us apart is our selling price. We tend to price coverage more for affordability rather than a big dollar hit. By lessening the initial blow, more people buy coverage and avoid expensive issues. If it's part of a finance package, it boils down to a few dollars a month.
Not every RV owner is capable of doing repairs on their own. I consider myself basically handy and capable. When it comes to my RV, I reel better taking a trip knowing repairs are done by trained technicians.
Hope that help.
Thank you,
Ken

The problem is: we had a warranty that wanted us to get permissin. So we had an emergency- I found a repairman, then I drove 30 minutes feom our camp to find a cell signal so I could call the warranty compan to ‘get permission”. Storm was bearing down on us - they gave the go-ahead.
Repairman was good, and reasonabel too. got ‘er done just before storm blew in.
Next day, the warranty company refused to pay a dime. Fortunately the bill was only a few hundred, but it PISSED me . I had no way to hold them to their word.
What do you do when you ‘get permission?” I suppose you need a confirmation number?
(I’m not correcting errors, just got up, need coffee)
Emergencies do bring up potential issues. If you have the service company on the phone, it's no different than any other service. Often a text or email record is great to have. Also, make a note of who you talked to, time of day and all other things pertaining to the call.
By "get permission" I mean to have the repair authorized or approved ahead of time. I know medical is a whole different subject but the same thing applies. Your Dr. office will make a call ahead of any procedure to know about coverage and any limitations. Often times if the repair center makes the call, the service contract company knows they are talking to the right people.
Sorry for the problem but hope this helps.
Thank you,
Ken

First of all, IMHO that original purchaser didn't negotiate a very good deal on the extended service plan when he originally bought the RV. Secondly, a CW warranty is the last one you should purchase. Most of their stores are famous for doing shoddy work on rigs.

My problem is ... when I have an issue with service, the company I bought the policy from says its not their problem. They are just the Broker.

My problem is ... when I have an issue with service, the company I bought the policy from says its not their problem. They are just the Broker.
With my business, relationship and integrity are important to us. We have long history with the companies we represent. I will never guarantee that every little thing is covered. We have helped owners during the re-hash process. As I have mentioned several times, having the service center get approval ahead of time is the key. Not paying too much for the coverage is also helpful. You should also have a copy of what is and is not covered ahead of time.
Thank you,
Ken

Emergencies do bring up potential issues. If you have the service company on the phone, it's no different than any other service. Often a text or email record is great to have. Also, make a note of who you talked to, time of day and all other things pertaining to the call.
By "get permission" I mean to have the repair authorized or approved ahead of time. I know medical is a whole different subject but the same thing applies. Your Dr. office will make a call ahead of any procedure to know about coverage and any limitations. Often times if the repair center makes the call, the service contract company knows they are talking to the right people.
Sorry for the problem but hope this helps.
Thank you,
Ken
The problem WE had was that we bought a warranty through a setup exactly as you described. We felt badly treated during our emergency at Palo Duro, and won’t buy warranties that way again. The so-called ‘warranty company’ could be snything.

With my business, relationship and integrity are important to us. We have long history with the companies we represent. I will never guarantee that every little thing is covered. We have helped owners during the re-hash process. As I have mentioned several times, having the service center get approval ahead of time is the key. Not paying too much for the coverage is also helpful. You should also have a copy of what is and is not covered ahead of time.
Thank you,
Ken
Just purchased a 2019 View with 11,000 miles. How do I reach you to get a warranty quote?

Latest resources

Back