• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question about weight distribution hitch

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I get it. You want to know the possible problem using the weight dist hitch. The weights may vary I see the label. One label gives enough info to confuse and one not enough.

When you spend some time to try and understand it comes down to if the truck can haul the load but fails to be able to handle 10% of the trailer weight on the hitch clarity comes from data enough to consider a weight leveling hitch to handle the tong weight that would other wise not be able to handle with hitch capacity. the V-5 tells it all both hitches are the same model.

Put another way No equalizer=max hauling weight 5000lbs trailer, with equalizer= max 10500 lbs trailer. This is hitch capacity not truck capacity. Remember they are the same V-5 hitch.
Yes sir, that was the concern and even my owners manual which I checked from the start wasn't clear. I took the truck in yesterday for dealer brake service and bounced the question off the service dept. They assured me that my receiver hitch is fully capable of using a WDH despite no clear indication of such on the decal. One of the mechanics pointed out that the hitch rating is actually higher than the truck tow rating (given my gearing) and that I'm fully well under any weight limits. One of the guys took the time to check the math and spent considerable time studying and inspecting it all. That's when it's nice to have a small town dealer that's customer focused and attentive, unlike some of the mega dealerships I've dealt with in the past where customer service seemed lacking and dismissive. That put it to bed for me and thanks everyone for their input. Happy camping!

Latest resources

Back