• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

RamblinFam

RVF Regular
Hi there,

It's long been a vision for me to own an RV and set off with my family on adventures near and far and we're now ready to pull the trigger and jump into the lifestyle. I've rented both class As and class Cs before and considered every possibility for what would work for us as a family to own. We have landed on a Class A as it feels like it will best accommodate our needs as a family.

I've taken my best guess at the cost of ownership and have come up with a budget for how much I'm prepared to spend and how much to set aside for improvements and ongoing maintainance. My intent is to own the coach for 5 years, enjoy it while the kids are young enough and small enough and then sell it.

I'm planning to buy used with a budget of up to $50k. I've worked on cars before and am pretty handy, but I don't want a project. Here are two possible options I'm looking at, followed by some questions. I've love to hear people's experiences.

Option 1 - 2010 Holiday Rambler Arista 34SBD

Option 2 - 2005 Fleetwood Bounder 34F

I'd love to hear people's experiences with the following:

1) Can anyone share their purchasing a 10-15 year old coach that they used regularly? How did it work out?

2) Any thoughts on the two coaches I posted above? For the Rambler, I like the bunks for kids (separate sleeping areas for everyone), but the Bounder has a nicer cockpit, the captains chair in the living room, slide out storage bins, bigger fridge, heated tanks, (and it costs less but is older). If the Bounder, can dinette and sofa sleeping work for 3 weeks on the road for kids 7-11? The bunks might extend the usefulness of the coach as the kids grow older.

3) Any other makes / models I should look at?

4) How do you evaluate these coaches to make a purchase decision? Especially ones that are 1,000 miles away? Do you have a mechanic look at them, what's a process that works for you and how much should I budget for sales process?

Thanks for giving it a read and I look forward to getting to know you.

I looked at the listings. The choice between these two is really easy because option one indicates it was sold on Jan 11.

You tuck and roll to avoid extra injury:) From what I have seen and read, all RV's are projects, no matter how old(first hand experience). I find it impossible to have a budget and keep one going. As far as old coaches, you must see to believe what the owner has to say about it. Even a road trip is a small investment for what you could get stuck with. Can't remember the name of the video but I think it is titled "How to tell if someone is lying to you". The speaker is an ex CIA person. The claim is she can spot a lair over the phone. They have produced a book I would say is a must buy if you are going to search 1000 miles from the home.

Research the chassis, transmission and motor offered with every MH you consider and make a decision about those items. Research the brand (Holiday Rambler, Fleetwood, Newmar, etc) and consider the construction of each (usually you can find the Model year brochure online), then make sure the layout meets your needs. We purchased a 2007 Newmar Canyon Star that met all of our criteria (we searched for about a year). We bought two weeks into the COVID onset and RV dealers couldn't give RV away so we were able to negotiate what we consider a deal. Don't be afraid to make a (very) low ball offer IMHO. SO we knew the bones were good (Workhorse chassis, Vortec 8.1, and Allison transmission) and after making some interior cosmetic changes, we are very happy with our choice.

I've owned many boats (large ocean going vessels) and in many cases, the construction of older boats are better than newer. Don't be afraid of a fifteen year old MH provided the bones are good AND it appears it was cared for. Being a car guy you know the drill, smell the oil and tranny fluid, visually check all you can (wiring too), and then run the MH through its paces. Listen to the motor, the transmission when it shifts, etc. Test the leveling jacks (Remember Atwood Levelegs are out of business) Run the generator, put it under load...basically use ALL the working parts before making a decision.

Replacing backsplashes, tiles, flooring, leveling jack key pad, buying new bedding (and probably mattress) are all things that can be done after purchase providing you purchased right. Don't buy 1000 miles away unless you are willing to spend a couple days (doing the above) and are willing to come home without a MH.

And finally, like a boat, your new MH will nickel you to death until you get it dialed to your liking. If your entire budget is $50,000. Buy for $35-40,000 and set up a MH account. Then use it!

All of the above are just my personal opinions and I am often wrong? Oh, and get your kids involved in the search!

Research the chassis, transmission and motor offered with every MH you consider and make a decision about those items. Research the brand (Holiday Rambler, Fleetwood, Newmar, etc) and consider the construction of each (usually you can find the Model year brochure online), then make sure the layout meets your needs. We purchased a 2007 Newmar Canyon Star that met all of our criteria (we searched for about a year). We bought two weeks into the COVID onset and RV dealers couldn't give RV away so we were able to negotiate what we consider a deal. Don't be afraid to make a (very) low ball offer IMHO. SO we knew the bones were good (Workhorse chassis, Vortec 8.1, and Allison transmission) and after making some interior cosmetic changes, we are very happy with our choice.

I've owned many boats (large ocean going vessels) and in many cases, the construction of older boats are better than newer. Don't be afraid of a fifteen year old MH provided the bones are good AND it appears it was cared for. Being a car guy you know the drill, smell the oil and tranny fluid, visually check all you can (wiring too), and then run the MH through its paces. Listen to the motor, the transmission when it shifts, etc. Test the leveling jacks (Remember Atwood Levelegs are out of business) Run the generator, put it under load...basically use ALL the working parts before making a decision.

Replacing backsplashes, tiles, flooring, leveling jack key pad, buying new bedding (and probably mattress) are all things that can be done after purchase providing you purchased right. Don't buy 1000 miles away unless you are willing to spend a couple days (doing the above) and are willing to come home without a MH.

And finally, like a boat, your new MH will nickel you to death until you get it dialed to your liking. If your entire budget is $50,000. Buy for $35-40,000 and set up a MH account. Then use it!

All of the above are just my personal opinions and I am often wrong? Oh, and get your kids involved in the search!
This is great Scooterfan, thank you! The way you broke things down economically is what we have in mind - $50k would be the total budget. We have allowances for improvements, yearly maintenance, a large repair prudent reserve, and storage. Thank you for the other insights too.

I've been researching the manufacturers, locating brochures online and sussing out the various platforms. I also appreciate the insight of trying to buy locally. I've been stuck at home now for 7 months with my kids (what a blessing). I'm itching to get out and go on a wild goose chase even if it means coming home empty handed :) In all seriousness though, I'm in the Northeast and I have not seeing much right now that matches my criteria here and I'd like to have a coach in hand this winter so that I can work to have it ready by late Spring.

Great call too in terms of getting the kids involved in the research!

Hi there,

It's long been a vision for me to own an RV and set off with my family on adventures near and far and we're now ready to pull the trigger and jump into the lifestyle. I've rented both class As and class Cs before and considered every possibility for what would work for us as a family to own. We have landed on a Class A as it feels like it will best accommodate our needs as a family.

I've taken my best guess at the cost of ownership and have come up with a budget for how much I'm prepared to spend and how much to set aside for improvements and ongoing maintainance. My intent is to own the coach for 5 years, enjoy it while the kids are young enough and small enough and then sell it.

I'm planning to buy used with a budget of up to $50k. I've worked on cars before and am pretty handy, but I don't want a project. Here are two possible options I'm looking at, followed by some questions. I've love to hear people's experiences.

Option 1 - 2010 Holiday Rambler Arista 34SBD

Option 2 - 2005 Fleetwood Bounder 34F

I'd love to hear people's experiences with the following:

1) Can anyone share their purchasing a 10-15 year old coach that they used regularly? How did it work out?

2) Any thoughts on the two coaches I posted above? For the Rambler, I like the bunks for kids (separate sleeping areas for everyone), but the Bounder has a nicer cockpit, the captains chair in the living room, slide out storage bins, bigger fridge, heated tanks, (and it costs less but is older). If the Bounder, can dinette and sofa sleeping work for 3 weeks on the road for kids 7-11? The bunks might extend the usefulness of the coach as the kids grow older.

3) Any other makes / models I should look at?

4) How do you evaluate these coaches to make a purchase decision? Especially ones that are 1,000 miles away? Do you have a mechanic look at them, what's a process that works for you and how much should I budget for sales process?

Thanks for giving it a read and I look forward to getting to know you.
We just sold our 2000 American Tradition for just under your budget. It had low miles and was taken care of very well. Make sure you take a good look at the roof. Add in cost of tires. Also consider a tow. When you get somewhere you need to explore and it's a hassle pulling up camp. We had such great fun with our kids and grandkids in that coach. Good Luck.

Latest resources

Back