Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
Something not discussed much at all. And yes many people say "I been driving for XXX years or xxx miles and never changed my diff fluid". That's ok.
This is just a look at how to change diff fluid. Here is an informative look into a rear diff fluid change ..

Last edited:
I used to manage and do the training for Valvoline Instant Oil Change centers. I opened all 7 stores in the Chattanooga market and did their training for 5 years. We changed the differential fluid in literally thousands of rear ends on all sorts of vehicles. We never took the rear cover off of any of them. I'm not sure I would recommend it for the average person because of the chance of the gasket leaking when they get through. We always used a small tube and a pump down through the fill hole to suck out the old fluid. We would then fill it up with clean fluid and suck it out again to try to get even more of the old fluid out of the bottom. This will do a great job in getting almost all of the old fluid out, without any chance of causing a leak by removing the rear cover. And what happens if you have a 9" Ford or similar type of rear end? They have no rear cover! :oops:

Agreed, your description of routine service makes sense. Luckily the Dana Spicer Diff in the Canyon Star is a "Front Loader" like a Ford 9" but with a drain plug. Designed to have the fluid drained without opening the unit or breaking any seals.
spicer rear diff.jpg

I used to manage and do the training for Valvoline Instant Oil Change centers. I opened all 7 stores in the Chattanooga market and did their training for 5 years. We changed the differential fluid in literally thousands of rear ends on all sorts of vehicles. We never took the rear cover off of any of them. I'm not sure I would recommend it for the average person because of the chance of the gasket leaking when they get through. We always used a small tube and a pump down through the fill hole to suck out the old fluid. We would then fill it up with clean fluid and suck it out again to try to get even more of the old fluid out of the bottom. This will do a great job in getting almost all of the old fluid out, without any chance of causing a leak by removing the rear cover. And what happens if you have a 9" Ford or similar type of rear end? They have no rear cover! :oops:
I would like to add to this. If you work in a oil change center you have books that tell you what is inside. Your vin on the manufactures page will also tell you what is inside. Just oil in a limited slip or locker is not the same as what is used in a conventional rear end. Further some rear ends us synthetic lube and others don't. Using the wrong lube can lead to failure. Make sure you know what lube to use before you get started.

All done...diffdrain.jpg

Latest resources

Back