Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I have a couch now and use small ottomans, I have a nice la-z-boy recliner at home. I sometimes lay on the couch and watch TV, sometimes I'm in the recliner so I'm trying to decide what I want in my next coach. I'm thinking it's going to be either recliners or theater seating. I think the theater seating may be comfy but it seems less social than the recliners where you can swivel and face your spouse/guest. I have to remind myself right now I have a sofa with opposing desk where I had the jack knife sofa.

What's your preference and why? Recliners or Theater Seating?

We went with the couch & ottomans in our upcoming NADP...sometimes our teenaged niece & nephew travel with us, and we needed an extra bed. But the couch in the 3543 is 92” long, so plenty of room to stretch out.

I forgot about the bed, the sofa bed is something I'd want as well. Hmm

If we’re traveling with them and parked in one place for a while, we will just leave it set up as a bed, and all 4 of us can comfortably sit and watch TV until bedtime.

I have the theater seating but not because I wanted them. I couldn't get the couch and also get my wife her extra cabinets in place of the jackknife sofa. Anyway, the theater seats are REALLY big and pretty comfy. If you like oversized chairs, you'll like these. I could sleep on one in a pinch but I imagine I'd not be terribly happy the next morning. They don't recline far enough for that.

We had the two recliners in the 17 DS we recently sold. We liked them ok for comfort. But there were issues.

They tended not to ride so well, slipping around at times.

If one was reclined in the chair and the coach was the slightest bit off level, they liked to auto-rotate. Very annoying.

You had to be very careful when pulling them out so as not to damage the floor trim strip.

So when we ordered the new coach, we went with the theater seats. We’ll see how that works out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Definitely 2 recliners for us

Theater seating for us in our 2020 Canyon Star. Several reasons. They will recline almost to a bed position, and very comfortable in any position. The recliner is "power" and allows for any position desired. Plus they are directly across from the TV/Fireplace. And we like the area inside the storage console, as well as beverage holders.
And for both of us, in the up position, we can put our feet flat on the floor!
We were going to order recliners, but after getting to actually sit in both, we found the recliners in their normal position, precluded my wife from being able to place her feet on the floor, she's 5'5". Me, at 5'9", could touch the floor, but not flat footed.
Also on our previously owned Mountain Aire, I swapped sofa for theater seating and loved them.

We currently have the recliners in our coach and they work well for us with same issues @deaton mentioned. Recently we were looking at possibly upgrading to DS 4369 and spent a lot of time on what to put on the build sheet. Newer recliners have been restyled and at 6’4” I didn’t find them very comfortable. Would have preferred going with villa recliners that are in the MA but Newmar will not allow as a special. After much back and forth between different coaches with the two options decided theater seating would work for us ( actually me) and that’s what is on the build sheet.

Latest resources

Back