Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Recliner vs. Theater Seating

• Total voters
Just like dinette chairs why do people give much attention to the Newmar provided recliners? Can't you just buy your own such as from la-z-boy and get wall huggers and recliners you really like and probably much less cost? Granted the upholstery may not match but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I replaced my dinette chairs from wayfair (or some online store like it) at far lower cost than Newmar's and far more comfortable and quality. Furniture does not have to be locked in to what comes from Newmar. That's for the showroom when it's time to sell so stow them away and get what you like.

Couch for us. We like the extra bed capability.

We ordered the recliners as part of our build, but knowing what we now know, we would have just deleted the small sofa that the recliners replaced and found recliners we liked better. At the time, the Newmar recliners seemed okay, but they are not what we would go out and buy. And, we probably will eventually replace them.

TJ

Since several of us have mentioned the theater seats, I’ll throw out a question.

Why couldn’t Newmar find a pair of theater seats with some storage drawers built into the front?

There is a ton of wasted space built into these things. Yes, there is a flip up storage compartment on the top, but I think we will miss the two drawers we had in the cabinet between the recliners.

66345868cb7f57cf17fc4c3989cce60d.jpg

Recliners. Note the two useful drawers.

46483c9e963ae724b1d3c6bae134f761.jpg

Theater seats. Note the large area in front middle - wasted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We prefer recliners. However, at 6'2" most recliners are just too short for me. We replaced the factory recliners in our 4037 with a pair of reclining, swivel euro chairs and ottomans. Problem solved. We have the same setup in our S&B.

These are the chairs we use....
stressless-mayfair-recliner-sand_1.jpg

TJ,
There are numerous manufacturers of these types of recliners. The first ones we had in our S&B were made by Flexsteel and purchased from a local furniture store. They were comfortable but wore out in what we considered to be a really short time. We upgraded to Stressless (Ekornes), made in Norway. We loved them so much we did the same for the coach. They are expensive but you get what you pay for. You can Google Stressless recliners and see who carries them in your area. Some online companies like Wayfair carry them as well. Since they are not cheap, we opted to buy local so we could "test drive" them prior to purchase.

Thanks, Jim. And, if I haven't already done so, welcome to RVF. There are a great bunch of folks here, and the list is growing daily.

TJ

I agree about the Ekornes...I have their furniture in my family room.

Latest resources

Back