• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Replaced the wet bay "shower" valve today

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Clean-looking install, @J&JD! Do you have a link to the source for the external backflow preventer you used. I might want to add the second one as a double-check in case the OEM were to fail.

TJ
It is either this one or one very similar. It’s been awhile since I purchased the unit.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000DZHA7S/?tag=rvf01-20

There is a quick disconnect on each end of the hose so I can attach the hose to the tank rinse or attach to the outdoor faucet for filling a bucket. One advantage of this tank rinse system is that the rinse doesn’t go through the water filters. No big deal but makes sense to me.

It is either this one or one very similar. It’s been awhile since I purchased the unit.

Robot Check

There is a quick disconnect on each end of the hose so I can attach the hose to the tank rinse or attach to the outdoor faucet for filling a bucket. One advantage of this tank rinse system is that the rinse doesn’t go through the water filters. No big deal but makes sense to me.
It looks like that one has the auto-drain feature. Does it release water into the wet bay when you turn the water supply off? I'd like to find something that is not vented so I don't get water in the wet bay.

TJ

It looks like that one has the auto-drain feature. Does it release water into the wet bay when you turn the water supply off? I'd like to find something that is not vented so I don't get water in the wet bay.

TJ
Actually, that is not a problem for some reason (maybe because of the other back flow further up the line). There is more liquid from the tank rinse disconnect than from the back flow valve. For $6 worth trying.

I have decided to go with a Camco 1/2" IPS backflow preventer...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EDUTN6/?tag=rvf01-20

...and a set of 1/2" IPS to 3/4" GHT adapter fittings as a backup to the Newmar-installed backflow preventer.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GD8ZWF6/?tag=rvf01-20

The Camco unit is not a self-draining backflow preventer and I feel a bit more comfortable not having the possibility of water draining into the wet bay. I will put the assembled unit on the end of the short hose between the new valve set and black tank flush input fitting with quick-couplers at each end. Will post a photo when completed.

This is probably overkill, but will provide an additional comfort factor.

TJ

I bought these and haven’t used them yet. So behind on my mods. I thought about putting this in front of the quick connect @TJ&LadyDi shared on his mod to his wet bay that I just got. I am no plumbing expert but it seems like good insurance maybe?

Mueller/B & K 108-904RP Backflow Preventer-Vacuum Breaker (2 Pack) Robot Check

I bought these and haven’t used them yet. So behind on my mods. I thought about putting this in front of the quick connect @TJ&LadyDi shared on his mod to his wet bay that I just got. I am no plumbing expert but it seems like good insurance maybe?

Mueller/B & K 108-904RP Backflow Preventer-Vacuum Breaker (2 Pack) Robot Check
@sheridany, do those backflow preventers have drain holes around the male end? I notice the description says it has a "manual drain" and that would be OK for my use. I just don't water spraying out of the drain holes when the water is shut off. Those look like nice, compact units.

TJ

@TJ&LadyDi mine are in the rig but I think they do have drain holes and as I read the review there was a video and a picture of what looks like they spray water all over when the pressure drops. Is that how they are supposed to work?

1589778379397.png

The vented units are designed to release water pressure externally when the tap is turned off. Supposedly, that is to prevent them from freezing up in cold weather. Since my wet bay should never experience freezing conditions, I am going with a non-vented, inline 1/2" IPS backflow preventer and adapter fittings to 3/4' hose thread. It is a little bulkier and a bit more expensive, but won't release water into the wet bay.

Some have not had issues with the vented add-on units releasing water and the speculation is that the Newmar-installed backflow preventer in the tank rinse system is working as it should. I think that is distinctly possible. Since, however, my reason for adding a second backflow preventer is primarily to have a backup in case the Newmar-installed one fails, I prefer not to have one that could vent contaminated water into the wet bay. Overkill, to be sure, but in the case of preventing fresh water contamination, I am all for "overkill.

TJ

OTOH @sheridany & @TJ&LadyDi , since I have had no issues with water spraying from the my added back flow maybe this device is a good indicator that the Newmar unit is performing correctly?.

I just noticed something that has been hiding in plain sight; the tank rinse low point drain. (See photo of my install on Page 1)

Of course, I use it to winterize my coach, but it just occurred to me that I could use it to release pressure before disconnecting the hose. Duhhhhhh!

Turn the water supply off and a simple twist of the valve handle should release all pressure in the tank rinse system. That should help avoid any release of liquid into the wet bay, even with one of the vented (self-draining) backflow preventers. Why didn't I think of that? :unsure: :ROFLMAO:

Guess it is back to Amazon for one of the backflow preventers recommended by J&JD and Sheridany.

TJ

Latest resources

Back