Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Yellowlegs

RVF Newbee
I have an old Atwood propane only hot water heater in a Jayco 192 jayflight. I am replacing it with a Girard tankless water heater. I need wiring to attach the new water heater because the Atwood was propane only and had no electric to it. How do I connect the electric with the new hot water heater to the current system?

I have an old Atwood propane only hot water heater in a Jayco 192 jayflight. I am replacing it with a Girard tankless water heater. I need wiring to attach the new water heater because the Atwood was propane only and had no electric to it. How do I connect the electric with the new hot water heater to the current system?
Look up wiring diagram for the Girard waterheater. If the diagram is over your head consider hiring a pro.

based on how I swapped my tank to tankless in my 2020 Highland Ridge (it had electric and propane).

You will need a 15 or 20 amp ground fault breaker for that circuit (need the proper model type to match your 120v breaker panel), check the instructions to find out which you need, the original tank hot water system in my Highland used a 15 amp, the tankless required a 20 amp.

it MUST be a ground fault breaker, not a standard breaker, it has to have GFCI (Ground fault circuit interrupter) in the breaker.

also you need the proper 120v 12 gauge wiring from the breaker to the unit. DO NOT SKIMP on the wiring, use the proper rated wiring for the circuit, too small will get HOT and cause an electrical fire.

just going off the instructions from mine and 35 plus years working with electrical stuff.

based on how I swapped my tank to tankless in my 2020 Highland Ridge (it had electric and propane).

You will need a 15 or 20 amp ground fault breaker for that circuit (need the proper model type to match your 120v breaker panel), check the instructions to find out which you need, the original tank hot water system in my Highland used a 15 amp, the tankless required a 20 amp.

it MUST be a ground fault breaker, not a standard breaker, it has to have GFCI (Ground fault circuit interrupter) in the breaker.

also you need the proper 120v 12 gauge wiring from the breaker to the unit. DO NOT SKIMP on the wiring, use the proper rated wiring for the circuit, too small will get HOT and cause an electrical fire.

just going off the instructions from mine and 35 plus years working with electrical stuff.
So your not talking propane right?

Thank you Mjeds, I have a few corrections on my first post. I have a Jay SLX 195RB that had a hot water tank that had no electrical wiring. This was a very basic system designed more for Boondock camping than campgrounds.

I managed to get the new Girard installed taking in your precautions, so thank you. I was shocked that no videos have been posted on the net about this upgrade. Every video I encountered did not address the electrical challenge.

Latest resources

Back