Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Billybob

RVF Newbee
Hi , I am a Newby at this. I am wondering if I should turn off my inside electric switch for my Hot water heater when not showering or doing dishes etc.
to save on propane or is it necessary to leave on ? Thanks

I would just leave it on. I can't imagine it uses that much propane to keep the system warm. But are you using the propane heater or the electric one?

That depends how often you use HW. And the previous question about electric or propane? If you are boondocking, you are using propane most likely, unless running a generator or a large solar array. If in a park, use the electric as it is generally free. Impossible to calculate heat loss etc to see if you gain by turning it off for an indeterminate amount of time.

When on shore power we use electricity unless the wife and I plan showers back to back. (the shower is back to back not us at same time ). Then we have gas on also. Seems to recover a bit quicker.

I turn it on in the morning and turn off after we shower. I don’t leave on all the time. Ours is propane only.

Hi , I am a Newby at this. I am wondering if I should turn off my inside electric switch for my Hot water heater when not showering or doing dishes etc.
to save on propane or is it necessary to leave on ? Thanks
We use electricity when we have power and gas when we do not. We do not shut it off in between use. We see that as a waste of energy you are heating water to let it cool down and then heating it again maintaining temp is usually more efficient.

Latest resources

Back