• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Residential refrigerator vs rv fridges

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
It looks wonderful. I didn’t know you could run a residential refrigerator on house batteries while on the road. Will that significantly decrease the life of the house batteries?

It looks wonderful. I didn’t know you could run a residential refrigerator on house batteries while on the road. Will that significantly decrease the life of the house batteries?
Not at all, the chassy generator keeps the batteries up.

Advantages:

significantly less cost.
Freezer section cools to -5 deg
Reliable when traveling

I replaced my Dometic a couple years ago. I added an inverter so the frig will run while traveling and boondocking.

Not at all. If you keep the doors closed the temp will stay cold for hours and hours. We live in the South where it's 90 degrees outside most of the Spring/Summer/early Fall so we run the generator so we can use the house A/C so the house batteries are being charged anyway. If the day is cool and we don't need the house A/C we leave the generator off. The house batteries are OK because the compressor on the 'fridge doesn't come on much. If you'll notice, most new Class A coaches are all electric now. Most also come with a residential 'fridge just like we have.

When I'm actually traveling (driving) the inverter that runs the refrigerator gets its 12 volts from the vehicle alternator, so there is no strain on the coach batteries.

Yep - off your batteries or possibly alternator?
The inverter converts the 12v house batteries to 120v for the 'fridge. No problems. The 'fridge compressor doesn't come on much at all while going down the road, unless someone is back there fanning the door. ? Gotta tell them kids to get everything they need at once

Not at all. If you keep the doors closed the temp will stay cold for hours and hours. We live in the South where it's 90 degrees outside most of the Spring/Summer/early Fall so we run the generator so we can use the house A/C so the house batteries are being charged anyway. If the day is cool and we don't need the house A/C we leave the generator off. The house batteries are OK because the compressor on the 'fridge doesn't come on much. If you'll notice, most new Class A coaches are all electric now. Most also come with a residential 'fridge just like we have.
I didn’t know that “most new Class A coaches are all electric now. Most also come with a residential 'fridge just like we have.” Good to know

When I'm actually traveling (driving) the inverter that runs the refrigerator gets its 12 volts from the vehicle alternator, so there is no strain on the coach batteries.
Ahhh Interestin
Not at all, the chassy generator keeps the batteries up.
When I asked about the life of the house batteries I wasn’t referring to the charge being run down. I think batteries don’t last forever, and I wondered if running the fridge off them would cause the batteries to need replacing more often... I’m guessing not significantly?

I didn’t know that “most new Class A coaches are all electric now. Most also come with a residential 'fridge just like we have.” Good to know

A great number of Class A coaches have also gone away from gas stoves. Many (most?) now have induction cooktops. All electric seems to be the trend, at least it was in the new coaches we were looking at this past year.

Ahhh Interestin

When I asked about the life of the house batteries I wasn’t referring to the charge being run down. I think batteries don’t last forever, and I wondered if running the fridge off them would cause the batteries to need replacing more often... I’m guessing not significantly?
My fridge only runs a little on hot nights. otherwise it stays off unless we open it a couple times after the sun goes down. Only seldom will the batteries drop below 80% charge which is considered a cycle. I can't add a bunch of batteries to keep that from happening, so I take the stance that 7years on 2 big batteries will cost as much as 14years on 4.

Latest resources

Back