• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Residential refrigerator vs rv fridges

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
When I'm actually traveling (driving) the inverter that runs the refrigerator gets its 12 volts from the vehicle alternator, so there is no strain on the coach batteries.
Got a question: when plugged into shore power....will your house batteries be charged so the refr can operate without running down your house batteries
I have a res refr, but cannot keep the batteries up while at home, I have to run the engine or genny to keep the batteries up

Got a question: when plugged into shore power....will your house batteries be charged so the refr can operate without running down your house batteries
I have a res refr, but cannot keep the batteries up while at home, I have to run the engine or genny to keep the batteries up

Then something is wrong or you don't have something turned on or hooked up properly. When I'm home I plug my RV electrical cord into a plug in my garage. It's only a 20 amp 120v plug. I'm not trying to run any A/C units, just charge the house batteries and run the 'fridge and lights. The house batteries charge automatically. I don't have to do anything. I believe all that is handled by the inverter/charger. Yours may not be working properly. I'd have it checked.

So what you are saying is the transfer switch is not switching over to shore power.

RV refrigerators vs. residential refrigerators might confuse you, but their functionality and purposes differ significantly. Although RV fridges cost a lot of money, they are more sturdy and have multiple power options. By contrast, a residential fridge has only one power source and needs an inverter to work on 12 V power; it is therefore more efficient at keeping food cold.
This didn't give a good answer. An absorption fridge has a very low COP. (RV fridge)!
Compressor cycle has a high COP (residential fridge)!

High COP more efficient.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back