Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Rettroband - are they worth it?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I
And I agree… I appreciate a truckers point of view. But, like you mention, RV tires sit a lot and that can be bad for them. I would also think you do not have tires for over 5 years like RVers do, which contributes to failures. I would also think losing control of an RV is easier on an RV then a truck, but you would have to let us know that…

For these reasons, I would be willing to fork over the dollars for just a little peace of mind…

But everyone has their own opinion on thisnine:)
I agree on all points. Steer tires last me no more than 2 years chronogically. RV's, as you said, sit alot. Therefore, if I could afford them I'd likely buy them for an RV. As an aside, my son's older motor home was pronounced totaled by the insurance company after the tread of a drive tire blow out did so much structural damage. It just all boils down to making the best decisions for your comfort level and budget. I certainly don't pretend to have all the answers! Hahahahaha

Thanks, @Truckertom1953. It’s interesting to get your perspective on the topic.

As an aside, as much as I love driving, and especially driving my rig, I cannot imagine driving that kind of mileage year after year. I would be looking for a tall cliff over a rocky shore after the first year.
We all have our calling. For me, driving is the most relaxing thing I can do, but I fully understand where you're coming from. I get the way you're talking after about 2 years of working Monday through Friday at a "real job"!
Hahahahaha

For those that got Retrobands installed, what was your final invoice and what are the details, which tires, tire size, etc. What is the warranty on them?

Here is a promotional video which is quite compelling in favor of the installation

With tax, mine came to a hair under $5K. 365 tires installed July 22.

Si

Yup. Steer only.

This was the last pricing I saw:

295/305: $3595.
315: $4595
365: $4695.

I am going to try to get a quote this week.

2 x steer tires?
I believe mine were $3,475 pre-tax. While they previously quoted one price, on my estimate (and I assume invoice, which I don't have handy), they now break out labor, connectors and main retrobands, and it's a bit less than they used to quote. These were for my 305\70R22.5 steers.

Benefits? For me, I'm hoping if I have a blowout, there will be two benefits. First, lower risk of losing control and putting it in a ditch/rolling ( drive a lot on windy Arkansas roads with about an 18" gravel shoulder, and then ditch). Second, if I do have a blowout, hopefully I don't have the extensive damage we often see, where electric bays, steps, wiring/air lines, are destroyed. I'm looking lite it as insurance and hope I never find out if they are as effective as their test (latest test was done with the NIRVC owner and rettroband designer riding in the coach they blew the tire on).

While I still think it's tremendously over priced, I guess you buy once and use for the lifetime of the coach. Nothing mentioned on warranty as of yet, what do they tell you?

What happens when Freightliner Gaffney goes to replace your tires?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back